Subject: [Dmsp] meeting notes from 3/29/06 telecon

From: "Engelsma Jonathan-QA2678" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:23:11 -0500

Notes from March 29, 2006 DMSP Telecon

Present:

George Refseth, Opera
Chris Cross, IBM
David Pearce, Motorola
Jonathan Engelsma, Motorola
Andrew Wahbe, VoiceGenie

Chris reported on the IETF meetings he attended last week where he gave
a DMSP presentation at both the Apps and RAI Area meetings. 

Positive response in general with regard to the need for this sort of
protocol.  Some concerns of possible overlap with existing activities
were voiced in both meetings.  From the widex WG in Apps, and one of the
SIP WG's in RAI.  Chris' impression was that the work fits best in RAI,
as the domain is related to SPEECHSC's which is in RAI.

Next steps are to continue to dialogue with contacts Chris made at IETF
meeting (preferably on the mailing list) and to hold a BoF at the next
IETF meeting.  (July in Montreal)

The group had a fair amount of discussion on Eric Burger's suggestion on
the list that on average it would take 3 years to go from -00 to RFC,
and we ought not contrain the specification with current mobile
handset/network limitations.

Chris suggested it really depends on what the group's goals are - i.e.,
if there is concensus for getting to RFC sooner, it can be accomplished.

David concurred and indicated it took less than a year for the DSR RTP
payload specs to go from draft to RFC. 

Andrew suggested it really depends on the nature of the draft - i.e.,
payload spec is relatively simple.  Andrew felt DMSP is similar to MRCP
in terms of the level of complexity, and would likely take as long.

It was noted that there were tradeoffs here.  In general, even if it
takes longer, a specification based on broader participation that is
widely adopted is definitely preferred over an RFC few actually
implement. 

The group agreed to have its next telecon on April 19, 2006, 10AM
Eastern.

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp