Subject: Re: [dns-dir] Planning for a Dublin DNS-Dir working session

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:58:01 +0200

Dear fellow DNS directorate members,

> The "traditional" Sunday evening slot is likely blocked for those of us
> attending the BIND Forum meeting.

following some feedback there is now a doodle poll open
at <http://www.doodle.ch/i5hfkzq9fedrsw3z>.  For those coming to Dublin
I'd appreciate if you could fill out the form, for those not going to
Ireland, please let me know off-line.

An updated version of the agenda can be found below.  Some feedback or on-list
discussion could help focus our work and leaves more time for the food.

Regards,
  Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting of the IETF DNS Directorate at IETF 72, Dublin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	DRAFT Agenda
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: TBD
Location: TBD
Revision: $Id: IETF72-Agenda.txt,v 1.3 2008/07/06 21:24:47 pk Exp $
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Welcome of new and returning members		[ADs]

2) DNS Directorate Charter			[ADs]

3) Methods of cooperation

   o (New) Mailing List
   o Meetings at IETF
   o Phone Calls
   o Wiki (?)

4) Modus operandi

   o Scheduling reviews based on IESG Agenda (post LC)
   o "unsolicited" reviews
   o Early review
   o Communicating a review
   o "Homepage" -> external communication

5) Other topics of general DNS relevance
   (in no particular order)

   o IAB Draft ("DNS Choices")

   o Returning Patterns of suboptimal/concerning use of the DNS

   o DNS and Cookie Spec Issues

   o DNS related language and terminology in RFCs

   o Weight of DNS considerations in IESG review

   o Pending IESG Statement on RFC 2606 ("example.org") and 2606bis
     <draft-ellermann-idnabis-test-tlds-07.txt>

   o Fast Flux Draft
     <draft-bambenek-doubleflux-01.txt>
     Submitted to RFC Editor on Independent Submission Stream

   o Signing the DNS root

   o IANA accused of "bypassing" the IETF in setting up the TLD TAR

   o IRTF DNS related drafts
     - "DNS Blacklists and Whitelists"
        <draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-05.txt> 
     - "Guidelines for Management of DNSBLs for Email"
        <draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-03.txt> 

   o The Myth of 13 Root Name Servers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 22:30:16 +0200

> discussion could help focus our work and leaves more time for the food.

Would like to add (and no particular place in the list)

o DNS ALG issues with NAT-PT
o Potential DNS issues with "Carrier Grade NAT"

Why these items? You will soon see that both will probably be fairly hot 
topics at this IETF.

Thanks,

- Mark

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:40:06 -0400

Given today's CERT advisory and massive multi-vendor patch, I suspect
that some discussion related to port randomization will come up in
Dublin.

Kaminsky will be going public with the details of his attack at the
Black Hat conference right after IETF, so expect some angst.

I'm not sure how much actual work there is here for the IETF, given
that the only real defense against this sort of thing is DNSSEC, which
has been discussed once or twice before, but I doubt that will keep
anybody from discussing it anyway.
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:01:42 +0200

> Ireland, please let me know off-line.

so, we have feedback from 11 of 16 directorate members with a slight preference
for a Tuesday lunch meeting.

With that, we have two options:

1) going "out", finding a restaurant, eat and work
2) stay in the hotel, find a breakout room, work and eat (bring-in food)

Given the length of at least the preliminary agenda, I'd suggest we go
for option (2).

-Peter

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:15:09 +0200

I'll be happy to try and get the IESG room for this.

- Mark

---

From: "Roy Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:49:01 +0200

> Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 
>

I happen to have the kingslake room at hand for the week:

http://www.citywesthotel.com/site/roomplans_kingslake.aspx

Roy

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:56:19 +0200

> http://www.citywesthotel.com/site/roomplans_kingslake.aspx

Good plan.

    Patrik

---

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:51:26 -0400

> for a Tuesday lunch meeting.

For me, Tuesday lunch conflicts with the secdir lunch meeting.
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:07:51 +0200

looking at <http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=i5hfkzq9fedrsw3z>
14 of 16 directorate members have responded and there are two "winning"
dates.  After consultation with the ADs I'd liek to suggest we take advantage
of this opportunity and make use of both available slots to accomodate
a rather long and full agenda as well as giving everybody a chance to
meet everybody else.

So, let's meet 	Tuesday	 1130-1300 (Roy's meeting room, self-catering)
	and	Thursday 2000-2200 (may end early)

Please let me know by private email whether you can make one or both
slots.  I'll compile an agenda and send it around Sunday the latest.

Best regards and have a safe trip,
      Peter
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: "Roy Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:22:33 +0200

Peter Koch wrote on 07/26/2008 10:07:51 AM:

> looking at <
http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=i5hfkzq9fedrsw3z>
> slots.  I'll compile an agenda and send it around Sunday the latest.

Roy's meeting room would be "the kingslake room". I made sure there are 
refreshments (drinks, even some snacks), but at the moment do not know 
what that entails precisely.

See you all soon.

Roy

---

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:32:15 +0200

> slots.  I'll compile an agenda and send it around Sunday the latest.

I should be able to attend both slots.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:35:02 -0400

Where is Roy's meeting room? I will be joining you about 30 minutes late.

                  Ron