Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-Dir Meetings Tue & Thu

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:00:29 +0200

Dear fellow Directorate members,

here's a draft agenda for our meetings on Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks
everybody for indicating their availability and special thanks to Roy
for making the room available.
Hopefully we'll be able to address the first part of item 5.
Please let me know if you have any additions or change requests.

See you there,
    Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting of the IETF DNS Directorate at IETF 72, Dublin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	DRAFT Agenda
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revision: $Id: IETF72-Agenda.txt,v 1.4 2008/07/27 21:23:51 pk Exp $
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:	  Tuesday, 2008-07-29  11:30 - 13:00
Location: Citywest Hotel, Kingslake Room
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Welcome of new and returning members		[ADs]

2) DNS Directorate Charter			[ADs]

3) Methods of cooperation

   o (New) Mailing List
   o Meetings at IETF
   o Phone Calls
   o Wiki (?)

4) Modus operandi

   o Scheduling reviews based on IESG Agenda (post LC)
   o "unsolicited" reviews
   o Early review
   o Communicating a review
   o "Homepage" -> external communication

5) Other topics of general DNS relevance

   o IAB Draft ("DNS Choices")					[Patrik]

   o Update to 1123 on TLD label syntax				[Andrew]

   o Pending IESG Statement on RFC 2606 ("example.org") and 2606bis [?]
     Also: <draft-ellermann-idnabis-test-tlds-07.txt>

   o DNS ALG issues with NAT-PT					[Mark]

   o Potential DNS issues with "Carrier Grade NAT"		[Mark]

   o Signing the DNS root					[?]

   o IANA accused of "bypassing" the IETF in setting up the TLD TAR	[Peter]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:	  Thursday, 2008-07-31  20:00 - 22:00
Location: Citywest Hotel, TBD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   o Returning Patterns of suboptimal/concerning use of the DNS

   o DNS and Cookie Spec Issues

   o DNS related language and terminology in RFCs

   o Weight of DNS considerations in IESG review

   o Fast Flux Draft						[Roy, Peter]
     <draft-bambenek-doubleflux-01.txt>
     Submitted to RFC Editor on Independent Submission Stream

   o SRV port name/number registry at IANA
     <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-00.txt>
     <draft-jennings-http-srv-00.txt>

   o HTTP based DNS zone data provisioning
     <draft-jennings-app-dns-update-00.txt>
     On APPS discuss list

   o IRTF DNS related drafts
     - "DNS Blacklists and Whitelists"
        <draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-05.txt> 
     - "Guidelines for Management of DNSBLs for Email"
        <draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-03.txt> 

   o The Myth of 13 Root Name Servers				[Peter]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:21:41 +0100

For this, I'm going to be asking these questions to you. That is, are 
there issues WRT DNS ALG issues on the table (for example: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bagnulo-behave-nat64-00), even at "CGN" 
scale, and whether the dns-dir is tracking any of this.

Thanks,

- Mark

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:44:12 +0100

I'll have simple lunches brought it (sandwiches & soda or some such) for 
about a dozen folks (guessing that's how many will be able to make the 
meeting) if that will help us have more time and not starve to death in 
the process. If you *don't* want food, let me know.

- Mark

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:39:28 +0200

Is the meeting today still on track? I may be late, and I need to know
in advance what are the plans. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:48:30 +0200

> Is the meeting today still on track? I may be late, and I need to know

apologies, I've confused some by postimng the logistics suggestion under
"Minutes":

> here's a draft version of Tuesday's minutes.  Everything not dealt with
> was postponed until Thusrday.  We haven't agreed upon a dinner venue, so
> assuming availability of the meeting room (Kingslake, 2nd floor in the main
> building) (thanks to Nominet), I'd suggest we meet there at 20:00 to go
> through the work items and decide on real dinner on the spot.

-Peter

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:53:31 +0200

Can someone send me a mobile phone number to ask about the decision for
dinner in case I am late? (can be private mail) 

> From: Peter Koch [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Koch
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:49 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: IETF DNS Directorate
> Subject: Re: [dns-dir] DNS-Dir Meetings Tue & Thu
> 
> > here's a draft version of Tuesday's minutes.  Everything not dealt 
> > with was postponed until Thusrday.  We haven't agreed upon a dinner 
> > venue, so assuming availability of the meeting room (Kingslake, 2nd 
> > floor in the main
> > building) (thanks to Nominet), I'd suggest we meet there at 
> 20:00 to 
> > go through the work items and decide on real dinner on the spot.
> 
> -Peter
>

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:58:25 +0100

FYI, regrets for tonight's meeting. I have another obligation. (and
believe me, I'd rather be discussing DNS stuff!)

Thomas

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:34:24 +0100

At Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:58:25 +0100, Thomas Narten wrote:
> 
> FYI, regrets for tonight's meeting. I have another obligation.

Likewise.

Somehow I had thought this was going to be Thursday lunch, by the time
I saw "dinner" it was too late for me to change plans.
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:38:01 +0200

It looks like I will need to skip as well. I apologize for the
confusion. It's been a long week and it's not over. 

Dan

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rob Austein
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:34 PM
> To: IETF DNS Directorate
> Somehow I had thought this was going to be Thursday lunch, by 
> the time I saw "dinner" it was too late for me to change plans.

---

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:51:28 -0400

> > through the work items and decide on real dinner on the spot.

I will not have had dinner by meeting time and therefore hope we will
eat during the meeting.  May I make a proposal?  I've not been to
Lemongrass yet (at the Golf hotel), but have heard good things about
it.  It also has the advantage of being different food than we've
probably been eating all week.  Anyone interested in convening over
dinner there?  If so, I can investgate a reservation.

Matt

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:56:59 +0200

I've been there last night. Food is good indeed and probably different
indeed (Asian fusion style) than whatever else we had this week. One
caution word however - it's somehow noisy, with an open kitchen playing
spectacular tricks, but they do have a more quiet area. Ask for a table
in that area. 

Dan

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt Larson
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:51 PM
> To: IETF DNS Directorate
> Subject: [dns-dir] Dinner details (was Re: DNS-Dir Meetings Tue & Thu)
> 
> > > building) (thanks to Nominet), I'd suggest we meet there 
> at 20:00 to 
> I will not have had dinner by meeting time and therefore hope 
> we will eat during the meeting.  May I make a proposal?  I've 
> not been to Lemongrass yet (at the Golf hotel), but have 
> heard good things about it.  It also has the advantage of 
> being different food than we've probably been eating all 
> week.  Anyone interested in convening over dinner there?  If 
> so, I can investgate a reservation.
> 
> Matt

---

From: "Roy Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:05:05 +0100

> > > here's a draft version of Tuesday's minutes.  Everything not dealt 
with
> dinner there?  If so, I can investgate a reservation.

I'd _love_ to combine food&work, and yes, the lemongrass is really really 
good. Note that the little sticks on your icecream desert are some kind of 
noodles, and are just decoration ;-)

But I digress.

If dinner doesn't work out, the room is available, though I've seen way 
too much of it in the last few days.

+1 for dinner.

Roy

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:10:42 -0700

> dinner there?  If so, I can investgate a reservation.

Works for me.

    Erik

---

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:14:54 -0400

> dinner there?  If so, I can investgate a reservation.

Having received some positive responses and no negative responses, I
have "hedged our bets" by making a reservation for 12 people at 2015
at Lemongrass so that option is available to us.  We can always cancel
and do something else.

May I suggest that we report to the Kingslake room at 2000 as
originally instructed by our Secretary General and proceed from there
however everyone decides.

Matt