Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:40:00 -0400

Count:       28 

CoRE                                                     P. van der Stok
Internet-Draft                                          Philips Research
Intended status: Informational                                   K. Lynn
Expires: January 10, 2011                                     Consultant
                                                            July 9, 2010

                 CoAP Utilization for Building Control
                      draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01

 Abstract

   This I-D describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
   building control applications such as HVAC and lighting.  A few basic
   design assumptions are stated first.  The URI structure is exploited
   to define multicast as well as unicast scopes.  RFC 3986 defines the
   URI components as (1) a scheme, (2) an authority, used here to locate
   the building, area, or node under control, (3) a path, used here to
   locate the resource under control, and (4) a query and fragment part,
   where fragments are not supported in CoAP.

   This proposal supports the view that (1) building control is likely
   to move in steps toward all-IP control networks based on the legacy
   efforts provided by DALI, LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,
   (2) service discovery is complimentary to resource discovery and
   facilitates control network scaling, and (3) the provision of a
   reliable group communication protocol is essential to support
   building control applications.