Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:40:01 -0400

Count:       14 

Network Working Group                                       R. Moskowitz
Internet-Draft                                                  ICSAlabs
Obsoletes: 5201 (if approved)                             P. Jokela, Ed.
Intended status: Standards Track            Ericsson Research NomadicLab
Expires: February 21, 2011                                  T. Henderson
                                                      The Boeing Company
                                                         August 20, 2010

                         Host Identity Protocol
                     draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-00

 Abstract

   This document specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol
   (HIP).  HIP allows consenting hosts to securely establish and
   maintain shared IP-layer state, allowing separation of the identifier
   and locator roles of IP addresses, thereby enabling continuity of
   communications across IP address changes.  HIP is based on a Sigma-
   compliant Diffie-Hellman key exchange, using public key identifiers
   from a new Host Identity namespace for mutual peer authentication.
   The protocol is designed to be resistant to denial-of-service (DoS)
   and man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks.  When used together with
   another suitable security protocol, such as the Encapsulated Security
   Payload (ESP), it provides integrity protection and optional
   encryption for upper-layer protocols, such as TCP and UDP.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5201 and addresses the concerns raised by
   the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It also incorporates
   lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201.