Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-liu-mif-api-extension-03.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:40:00 -0400

Count:       12 

Network Working Group                                             D. Liu
Internet-Draft                                              China Mobile
Intended status: Informational                            Yuri. Ismailov
Expires: April 28, 2011                                         Ericsson
                                                                  Z. Cao
                                                            China Mobile
                                                        October 25, 2010

                   Socket API Extension for MIF Host
                     draft-liu-mif-api-extension-03

 Abstract

   API (Application Program Interface) is an interface implemented by a
   software program that enables it to interact with other software.  In
   IP network communication area, Socket API is the de facto standard
   and is widely used in many systems.  Recently, multiple interfaces or
   multiple connection capable devices become more and more common.  But
   due to the limitation of the default route of the host and other
   issues such as DNS selection etc prevent the utilization of multiple
   interfaces/connections benefit.  Moreover, there is no API level
   support for the application developer to utilize the benefit of the
   host's multiple interfaces/connections.  Starting with the
   requirement of MIF API extension, this document describes a new set
   of abstraction APIs to provide additional services to applications
   running on hosts attached to multiple provisioning domains.  These
   services could assist advanced applications in having greater control
   over first-hop, source address and/or DNS selection issues.