Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:40:01 -0400

Count:       15 

Behave WG                                                       B. Huang
Internet-Draft                                                   H. Deng
Obsoletes: 3338, 2767                                       China Mobile
(if approved)                                              T. Savolainen
Intended status: Standards Track                                   Nokia
Expires: April 14, 2011                                 October 11, 2010

            Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)
                     draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-00

 Abstract

   This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Host" (BIH), a host based
   protocol translation mechanism that allows a subset of applications
   supporting only one IP address family to communicate with peers that
   are reachable or supporting only the other address family.

   This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
   stack or IPv6 only network connectivity.  In the dual stack network
   case, single address family applications in the host sometime will
   communicate directly with other hosts using the different address
   family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
   IPv4 originated communications have to be translated into IPv6.  The
   BIH makes the IPv4 applications think they talk to IPv4 peers and
   hence hides the IPv6 from those applications.

   Acknowledgement of previous work

   This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
   TSHUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI [RFC2767] and
   from Seungyun Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and
   Erik Nordmark's [RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host
   means to communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4
   appliations.  This document combines and updates both [RFC2767] and
   [RFC3338].

   The changes in this document reflect five components

      1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

      2.  IPv4 address pool use private address instead of the
      unassigned IPv4 addresses (0.0.0.1 - 0.0.0.255)

      3.  Extending ENR and address mapper to operate differently

      4.  Adding an alternative way to implement the ENR

      5.  Going for standards track instead of experimental/
      informational