Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-arkko-townsley-coexistence-06.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:40:01 -0400

Count:       11 

Network Working Group                                           J. Arkko
Internet-Draft                                                  Ericsson
Intended status: Informational                               M. Townsley
Expires: April 25, 2011                                            Cisco
                                                        October 22, 2010

           IPv4 Run-Out and IPv4-IPv6 Co-Existence Scenarios
                  draft-arkko-townsley-coexistence-06

 Abstract

   When IPv6 was designed, it was expected that the transition from IPv4
   to IPv6 would occur more smoothly and expeditiously than experience
   has revealed.  The growth of the IPv4 Internet and predicted
   depletion of the free pool of IPv4 address blocks on a foreseeable
   horizon has highlighted an urgent need to revisit IPv6 deployment
   models.  This document provides an overview of deployment scenarios
   with the goal of helping to understand what types of additional tools
   the industry needs to assist in IPv4 and IPv6 co-existence and
   transition.

   This document was originally created as input to the Montreal co-
   existence interim meeting in October 2008, which led to the
   rechartering of the Behave and Softwire working groups to take on new
   IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence work.  This document is published as a
   historical record of the thinking at the time, but hopefully also
   helps understand the rationale behind current IETF tools for co-
   existence and transition.