Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:40:01 -0400

Count:      192 

Network Working Group                                         O. Kolkman
Internet-Draft                                                     NLNet
Intended status: Standards Track                             J. Peterson
Expires: April 20, 2011                                    NeuStar, Inc.
                                                           H. Tschofenig
                                                  Nokia Siemens Networks
                                                                B. Aboba
                                                   Microsoft Corporation
                                                        October 17, 2010

    Architectural Considerations on Application Features in the DNS
                     draft-iab-dns-applications-00

 Abstract

   While the principal purpose of the Domain Name System (DNS) is to
   translate Internet domain names to IP addresses, over time a number
   of Internet applications have integrated supplemental features into
   the DNS to support their operations.  Many of these features assist
   in locating the appropriate service in a domain, or in transforming
   intermediary identifiers into names that the DNS can process.
   Proposals to piggyback more sophisticated application behavior on top
   of the DNS, however, have raised questions about the propriety of
   instantiating some features in the DNS, especially those with
   security sensitivities.  This document explores the architectural
   consequences of installing application features in the DNS, and
   provides guidance for future work in this area.