Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:40:03 -0400

Count:       84 

DNSext Working Group                                           A. Hoenes
Internet-Draft                                                    TR-Sys
Obsoletes: 1995 (if approved)                                    O. Sury
Intended status: Standards Track                                  CZ.NIC
Expires: April 22, 2011                                 October 19, 2010

             DNS Incremental Zone Transfer Protocol (IXFR)
                   draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-00

 Abstract

   The standard means within the Domain Name System protocol for
   maintaining coherence among a zone's authoritative name servers
   consists of three mechanisms.  Incremental Zone Transfer (IXFR) is
   one of the mechanisms and originally was defined in RFC 1995.

   This document aims to provide a more detailed and up-to-date
   specification of the IXFR mechanism and to align it with the current
   specification of the primary zone transfer mechanism, AXFR, given in
   RFC 5936.  Further, based on operational experience, this document
   juxtaposes to the original IXFR query a new query type, IXFR-ONLY,
   that will be preferred over IXFR in specific deployments.

   This document obsoletes and replaces RFC 1995.

Discussion

   This is a (still) incomplete, initial draft version.  Readers are
   encouraged to defer detailed comments until the next draft version,
   which is expected to be available soon.