Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-mccann-picklepacket-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:40:00 -0500

Count:       66 

Motorola                                                       P. McCann
Internet-Draft
Intended status: Standards Track                              S. Gilbert
Expires: June 10, 2011                                    Motorola, Inc.
                                                        December 7, 2010

        Authenticated Middlebox Traversal with the Pickle Packet
                      draft-mccann-picklepacket-00

 Abstract

   This document describes the Pickle Packet, a message that can be used
   to coordinate the opening of a transport connection with various
   middleboxes that may lie on the path.  It contains the DNS names of
   both the initiator and the responder of the connection and some
   authentication data.  Because the authentication data uses public key
   cryptography, any middlebox can independently authenticate the
   initiator and make a policy decision whether to allow or deny the
   flow based on the DNS names.  The Pickle Packet allows for
   middleboxes to establish state such as firewall pinholes or security
   associations that can be used to filter out unwanted traffic.