Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-jenkins-cdni-problem-statement-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:40:01 -0500

Count:       54 

Network Working Group                                   B. Niven-Jenkins
Internet-Draft                                  Velocix (Alcatel-Lucent)
Intended status: Informational                            F. Le Faucheur
Expires: June 5, 2011                                              Cisco
                                                                N. Bitar
                                                                 Verizon
                                                        December 2, 2010

 Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement
                draft-jenkins-cdni-problem-statement-00

 Abstract

   Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) provide numerous benefits: reduced
   delivery cost for cacheable content, improved quality of experience
   for end users and increased robustness of delivery.  For these
   reasons they are frequently used for large-scale content delivery.
   As a result, existing CDN providers are scaling up their
   infrastructure and many Network Service Providers (NSPs) are
   deploying their own CDNs.  It is generally desirable that a given
   content item can be delivered to an end user regardless of that
   user's location or attachment network.  This creates a requirement
   for interconnecting standalone CDNs so they can interoperate as an
   open content delivery infrastructure for the end-to-end delivery of
   content from Content Service Providers (CSPs) to end users.  However,
   no standards or open specifications currently exist to facilitate
   such CDN interconnection.

   The goal of this document is to outline the problem area for the IETF
   with a view towards creating a working group.  This working group
   would work on interoperable and scalable solutions for CDN
   interconnection.