Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-v6ops-multihoming-without-nat66-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:40:01 -0500

Count:       59 

Internet Engineering Task Force                            O. Troan, Ed.
Internet-Draft                                                     Cisco
Intended status: Informational                                  D. Miles
Expires: June 9, 2011                                     Alcatel-Lucent
                                                           S. Matsushima
                                                  SOFTBANK TELECOM Corp.
                                                              T. Okimoto
                                                                     NTT
                                                                 D. Wing
                                                                   Cisco
                                                        December 6, 2010

          IPv6 Multihoming without Network Address Translation
                draft-v6ops-multihoming-without-nat66-00

 Abstract

   Network Address and Port Translation (NAPT) works well for conserving
   global addresses and addressing multihoming requirements, because an
   IPv4 NAPT router implements three functions: source address
   selection, next-hop resolution and optionally DNS resolution.  For
   IPv6 hosts one approach could be the use of IPv6 NAT.  However, NAT
   should be avoided, if at all possible, to permit transparent host-to-
   host connectivity.  In this document, we analyze the use cases of
   multihoming.  We also describe functional requirements for
   multihoming without the use of NAT in IPv6 for hosts and small IPv6
   networks that would otherwise be unable to meet minimum IPv6
   allocation criteria .