Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:18:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Obsoleting IQUERY
	Author(s)	: D. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 28-Feb-01
	
Based on a lack of working implementations of the IQUERY method
of performing inverse DNS lookups, and because an alternative
mechanism for doing inverse queries of address records has been
successfully used operationally for well over a decade, this
draft proposes that the IQUERY operation be entirely obsoleted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: [email-masked] (David C Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:30:49 -0500 (EST)

The consensus of the room today was to move this draft forward.

There are a couple of minor typos in the draft that I will fix to
submit version -01, but I have no notable changes planned.  Please
send me any substatiative comments for the draft so that I can
incorporate them before sending in the next version next week. 

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:28:28 -0600

Because implementations of IQUERY do exist, and are generally bad
and/or unwanted, I would suggest changing

   Furthermore, many organizations would opt to disable IQUERY, if it
   existed, because it could expose large blocks of names in their
   zones, such as if many of those names have a common mail
   exchanger.

to something beginning with

   Operators of servers that do support IQUERY often opt to disable
   it, due to bugs in insufficiently-exercised code, or concerns
   about exposure of expose large blocks of names in their zones
   by probes like inverse MX queries.

and

   This would undeniably be handy at times as a
   diagnostic tool, but apparently not enough so that anyone's
   bothered to implement it since it was described in 1987.

to

   This is sometimes a handy diagnostic tool, but apparently not
   enough so that server operators like to enable it, or request
   implementation where it's lacking.

The bit about no known clients using IQUERY for any meaningful service
is still true, as far as I know.