Subject: DNS Label Intelligence and Management System

From: "Mike Macgowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:59:00 -0700

The following draft is to be considered for adoption into the DNS EXT WG at
the meeting in Minneapolis. Although I am new to this workgroup, these ideas
were reviewed by Rick Hayes-Roth, CTO at HP. He suggested that these
proposed extensions would be a great asset to the Internet.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-macgowan-dnsext-label-intel-manage
-00.txt

You are the experts in the field. I would appreciate your review and
comments so that I may be better prepared to discuss these ideas in person.

Here is a quick look at the abstract:

A multidimensional array of domain label analysis and extensions are
offered to overcome a number of issues with the DNS and its use to
locate resources on the Internet. These goals are accomplished by
proposing a naming convention to add labels to domain strings. The
result will be a rational relationship to the content that will provide
a method for meeting the ever-increasing need to expand the namespace,
while providing an efficient search system to access content in a user-
friendly manner.

A fundamental problem exists in the design of DNS. A user must know the
domain name including the Top Level Domain, TLD, and type the Uniform
Resource Locator, URL, accurately to connect to resources on the
Internet. The current lookup organization of the DNS uses domain labels
separated by periods to provide hierarchical levels for a resolver to
seek in finding a path to an authority. A new masking technique within
labels is proposed to accommodate lookups based on the request.
Multiple processing trees are proposed to redistribute the requests
based on the known pieces of the domain name. Rather than knowing the
fully qualified domain name, FQDN, the user can search for content
based upon known pieces of the string like group (business), country,
area code, phone number, type of organization, street address, zip code
and/or GPS location, etc.. Intelligence is added for determining the
fastest route to resolution based on user weighting, number of
requests, and traffic within the system.

A result of the masking technique is an opportunity to provide a
completely hidden label(s) for maintenance of the system. A TTL (Time
to Live), version, and type of request could be keyed into a label to
provide information, which remains with the client but is normally lost
after a request is processed. This system could be implemented to
create automatically updated records and content. Or hidden labels
could be used to distinguish between version 4 and version 6 requests
in the TCP/IP, Transmission Control Protocol/ Internet Protocol,
rollover.

Implementation of the new name system is facilitated by the addition of
a client interface for building requests. Longer domain names are
enhanced by smart AutoCompletes and group edit boxes.

Michael L. Macgowan Jr.
[email-masked]

MCT, MCSE

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:19:26 +0700

Please, no, not another attempt to turn the DNS into
some kind of directory system.

The namedroppers list has been around a very long time,
it is one of the older mailing lists on the internet.
The resent past is suggesting that senility has arrived...

kre