Subject: Further Comment, DNSEXT WGLC: AXFR Clarify

From: Kevin Darcy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:50:19 -0500

The draft says (Section 3):

> If the master server is unable or unwilling to provide a zone
>    transfer, it MUST respond with a single DNS message containing an
>    appropriate RCODE other than NOERROR.
>
Later (Section 3.2), it says that the AA flag in the response is "1 (but MAY
be 0 when RCODE is nonzero)".

(By the way, is it good form to equate "other than NOERROR" with "nonzero"?)

I would prefer things to be more explicit, in the case where the server is
not authoritative for the requested zone. Either a) return RCODE=NOTAUTH, or
b) at the very least, *require* AA=0 in this situation, and AA=1 in all
other RCODE!=NOERROR situations.

The ultimate goal should be the ability for the client to know unambiguously
that the server is not authoritative for the zone.

- Kevin

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.