Subject: Protocol Action: RSA/SHA-1 SIGs and RSA KEYs in the Domain Name System (DNS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:13:18 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RSA/SHA-1 SIGs and RSA KEYs
in the Domain Name System (DNS)' <draft-ietf-dnsext-rsa-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   Since the adoption of a Proposed Standard for RSA signatures in the
   DNS [RFC 2537], advances in hashing have been made.  A new DNS
   signature algorithm is defined to make these advances available in
   SIG resource records (RRs).  The use of the previously specified
   weaker mechanism is deprecated.  The algorithm number of the RSA KEY
   RR is changed to correspond to this new SIG algorithm.  No other
   changes are made to DNS security.

   The document obsoletes RFC 2537.

   Implementation of the RSA algorithm in DNS with SHA1 is MANDATORY for
   DNSSEC.  The generation of RSA/MD5 SIG RRs as described in [RFC 2537]
   is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Working Group Summary

  There was concensus in the WG to advance the document.

Protocol Quality

   This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.