Subject: Has anyone reviewed draft-josefsson-dns-url-00.txt?

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:15:30 -0400

Has DNSEXT reviewed the draft draft-josefsson-dns-url-00.txt? I'm going
to suggest the author request it be published and put on the standards
track. Thanks!

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
[email-masked]      |                              | http://www.neonym.net
                        |                              | go:Michael Mealling

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:53:28 +0900

>to suggest the author request it be published and put on the standards

It looks like something very valuable to do. But it needs quite
a bit more work before publication. For example:

    This memo is known to be incomplete and perhaps lack some of the
    background research required to properly define a new URL scheme.
    Especially the BNF should not be regarded as cast in stone.

3. Character encoding considerations
    Since 8-bit characters are not permitted in URLs, they must be
    encoded as per the "URI Generic Syntax" RFC.  The character set
    issue should be dealt with in this section, but awaits the outcome
    of the IDN work group.

Encoding of characters in URIs should be generic, which means
that it should be independent of IDN. Please see
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-uri-00.txt
for details.

Regards,   Martin.