Subject: Re: Resolution of proposed changes to mDNS-00 draft

From: erik guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:10:52 -0700

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> 
> Based on the vigorous discussion we've had over the last month or so,
Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If an item is not on the list, it's probably because it is controversial
> or a large item that is not easily encapsulated in a few paragraphs of
> recommended edits. An example is mDNS configuration. For this one, we felt
> that the best approach was for someone to come up with an alternate
> proposal in order to help facilitate the discussion.  Erik Guttman has
> graciously volunteered to act as lightening rod. Thanks, Erik!

Please see draft-guttman-dhc-mdns-enable-00.txt

This document specifies a replacement for using the domain search list 
to configure mdns behavior.  

Although draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-00.txt specifies the use of the domain 
search list, no one seems to prefer this approach to the DHCP 'mDNS
enable' 
option alternative.  If you do, please speak up and explain why.

Regards,

Erik

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:59:39 -0700

since you asked, i still prefer to continue using a single mechanism, dhcp
in this case, as opposed to inventing new overlapping kludges.  but you knew
that already.

randy