Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-guttman-dhc-mdns-enable-00.txt

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:20:25 -0700

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>	Title		: DHCP mDNS Enable Option
>	Author(s)	: E. Guttman
>	Filename	: draft-guttman-dhc-mdns-enable-00.txt
>	Pages		: 
>	Date		: 27-Jun-01

I'm generally uneasy about the apparently unending process our community 
has, of repeatedly stuffing "just one more" configuration option into 
DHCP packets, with no end in sight.

However, with that caveat stated, two comments:

1. I think we all agree now that it is not a good idea to use the search 
list to control anything other than strings to be appended to unqualified 
names. Any implicit semantics associated with whether a particular string 
is in the search list or not is confusing. I think the sections of this 
draft dealing with why overloading the search list is a bad idea, can be 
safely deleted.

2. Instead of an 'order' byte and a 'scopes' bitfield, how about this: 
The option consists of a sequence of zero or more bytes, indicating the 
allowable scopes and the order in which they are to be tried. A byte with 
value zero means unicast. A byte with value one means link-local 
multicast. A byte with value two means site-local multicast, etc. That 
way, if we want, any number of scopes can be specified in any arbitrary 
order.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.