Subject: mdns retransmit behavior discussion

From: erik guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 05:15:05 -0700

Robert Elz wrote:
>   | Justification: Current language does not fully specify retransmission
>   | behavior.
> 
>   | Repetition MUST NOT be attempted more than 3 times and SHOULD NOT
>   | be repeated more often than once per second to reduce unnecessary
>   | network taffic. Retry intervals SHOULD be exponentially increased,
>   | starting from a value of 1 second."
>   |
>   | Proposed resolution: Accept
> 
> I don't mind that, but specifying "exponentially increased" for
> something that can't be attempted more than 3 times doesn't achieve
> very much at all.

How about: 

  Retry intervals SHOULD be exponentially increased.  The delay between 
  retries is calculated using a random value selected using a uniform 
  distribution between n/2 and (3*n)/2 seconds.  Successive retries
  double n doubles each time.

Erik

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.