Subject: Admitting more documents: TKEY secret removal

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:31:55 -0400

This document has requested to be added to the working group
work items. This document is within the working charter is there any
objection to admitting it ?

draft-kamite-dnsext-tkey-secret-removal-00.txt
Abstract:
    TKEY [RFC2930] provides methods of setting up shared secret keys for
    TSIG [RFC2845] other than manual exchange. But TKEY itself cannot
    control timing of key renewal very well though it can add or delete
    shared keys.  Since continuing to sign messages with old keys
    permanently is not safe, hosts which make use of TSIG should pay
    attention to the time limit of secret usage.

    This document proposes a new Secret Key Renewal Mode in TKEY which
    periodically changes secret shared between two hosts. Servers check
    valid period of secret when they receive messages from clients, and
    if they have already expired, the servers demand that clients should
    send TKEY key renewal requests which are based on Diffie-Hellman
    exchange. After secret establishment by exchange, new secret keys
    become valid and the previous old keys are completely invalidated.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Yuji Kamite <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:57:53 +0900

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:31:55 -0400

> draft-kamite-dnsext-tkey-secret-removal-00.txt

The title is wrong. Correct one is

draft-kamite-dnsext-tkey-secret-renewal-00.txt

Please be careful not to fail to read.

This document is about the management of secret keys used for TSIG,
which suggests smooth key renewal (rekeying) procedure making use
of TKEY.

Now we are reconsidering some definitions of secret key inception,
renewal timing, and expiration etc. (perhaps which we think are obscure)
in this draft.
In order to explain more clearly, we are going to submit
a revised version by the next meeting, if possible.

Thank you.

--
Yuji Kamite
Information Technology Center, Univ. of Tokyo
E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:32:23 -0400

>objection to admitting it ?

As no one objected the document is admitted. Authors please contact
me for working group document name assignment.

         Olafur