Subject: Protocol Action: DNS Server MIB Extensions to Historic Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:42:04 -0400

The IESG has approved reclassifying the following RFCs as Historic
documents:

RFC1611 DNS Server MIB Extensions
RFC1612 DNS Resolver MIB Extensions

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of Applicability
Statement for DNS MIB Extensions <draft-ietf-dnsext-dnsmib-historical-00.txt>
as an Informational RFC.

This document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.

The contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   The document states the reasons for moving RFC 1611 and RFC 1612 to
   historical:

   More than six years after the DNS Server and Resolver MIB extensions
   became proposed standards, there still has not been any significant
   deployment of these MIB extensions.  This note examines the reasons
   why these MIB extensions were never deployed, and recommends retiring
   these MIB extensions by moving them to Historical status.

Working Group Summary

   There was consensus in the working group to reclassify the DNS MIB
   documents.  Interested parties where encouraged to form a design team
   to produce more usable MIBs for DNS and bring them to the DNSEXT WG
   when they are ready for review.

Protocol Quality

   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please replace the Security Considerations section in
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnsmib-historical-00.txt with the following text:

   Re-classifying an existing MIB document from Proposed Std
   to Historic does not have any negative impact on security for
   the Internet.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.