Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:10:39 -0500

Forwarded by request, ...

------- Forwarded Message

Resent: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:17:02 -0500
Resent: [email-masked]
X-rationale: "could you fwd my note to namedroppers, please?  randy's not willing."
To: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt 
In-Reply-To: Message from Matt Crawford <[email-masked]> 
   of "Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:54:00 CDT." <[email-masked]> 
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:15:40 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>

> ...
> Furthermore, this document makes some purely technical claims that
> were soundly rebutted on the mailing list before and after the
> meeting.
> 			Matt Crawford

uh-oh.  matt, i thought you knew the secret handshake so i wasn't worried
that i didn't (know it).  i guess things are worse than they seemed.

------- End of Forwarded Message

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:36:14 -0400

At 3:42 PM -0400 9/28/01, Paul Vixie wrote:
>indeed, that is true.  i am a strong dissenter.  A6 has to be mandatory if
>IPv6 is going to solve more problems than it creates.

As someone who really has no strong opinion (yet) in the A6-vs-AAAA debate:
one obstacle to the adoption of A6 is tied to a lack of clarity as to how
it will solve problems.

I don't know of a clear, concise discussion of the problems that need to be
addressed. As a consequence there is no clear indication what A6 will
achieve.  (Unfortunately, I am not in position to supply such a document.)

<<One may note that this is the same problem facing DNSSEC.  But let's not
go off-thread on this.>>

I think A6 is cool because I am an engineer and tend to like Rube Goldberg
devices.  (Not to imply that A6 is a lot of activity for no benefit, but to
imply that A6 is a simply a lot of activity.)  However, I really can't back
the A6-as-standards track because I don't know whether "A6" is good or not.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.