Subject: Version of mDNS document for review

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:24:10 -0800 (PST)

A strawman revision of the mDNS specification is up for review at: 
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-08.txt

This draft incorporates the following changes:

a. Uses a separate port (5353) and allocated IPv4 multicast linklocal
address (224.0.0.251).

b. Specifies use of a distinct cache for mDNS. 

c. Removes use of "local.arpa" namespace. 

d. Separates normative and informative references

Please post comments to the authors and to the list. 

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:33:56 +0100 (CET)

> a. Uses a separate port (5353) and allocated IPv4 multicast linklocal

Has an IPv6 link-local multicast been allocated as well?

I thought there was a suggestion on the floor to also
name the protocol something other than *DNS i.e. to point out that
if offers a similar name resolution service to DNS but limited to
a single link (and happens to reuse DNS packet formats).
Thus "Link local ... name lookup" might be a reasonable name.

  Erik

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:31:50 -0800 (PST)

> Has an IPv6 link-local multicast been allocated as well?

Section 2.1.1 describes how the IPv6 "solicited name multicast address" is
determined. This procedure is the same as that specified in section 3 of
"IPv6 Node Information Queries". So no additional IPv6 link-local address
allocation is required. 

> Thus "Link local ... name lookup" might be a reasonable name.

There has been a suggestion to call it "Linklocal Multicast DNS" (llmDNS).