Subject: RE: Transition from 2535 to opt-in

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:21:23 -0800

> AFAIK .com is one of the few (and maybe the only) zone(s) that has
> scaling problems when using a non granular (rfc2535) approach. What I
> understand from the NLnet Labs folk is that it is technically possible
> to sign and serve relatively big TLDs such as .de (on a desktop PC)
> and even .com (on a $5000 alpha).

Olaf,

	Let us imagine for a moment that we get you to sign a rack of
non-disclosure forms, blindfold you, take you on a drive to our 
data center etc. etc.

	Do you imagine that you would see the current .com zone being
served by a '$5,000 alpha' or anything that remotely resembles such 
a small scale without DNSSEC?

	I am interested to learn how deployment of a specification that
increases the data volume by an order of magnitude can reduce hardware
costs by several orders of magnitude.

		Phill

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 19:04:31 +0100

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]> writes:
 * > understand from the NLnet Labs folk is that it is technically possible
 * > to sign and serve relatively big TLDs such as .de (on a desktop PC)
 * > and even .com (on a $5000 alpha).
 * 
 * Olaf,
 * 
 * 	Let us imagine for a moment that we get you to sign a rack of
 * non-disclosure forms, blindfold you, take you on a drive to our 
 * data center etc. etc.

That would be fun :-) 

 * 
 * 	Do you imagine that you would see the current .com zone being
 * served by a '$5,000 alpha' or anything that remotely resembles such 
 * a small scale without DNSSEC?

Sorry, I misphrased that sentence. NLnet Labs only looked at signing
not at serving. Signing of .com was possible on a commodity machine.

I do understand that serving the a larger data volume is more costly
and I also do understand opt-in allows one for a slow transition. 

--Olaf