Subject: The final word about size, was: DS and Opt-in - a proposal

From: [email-masked] (Ted Lindgreen)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:59:44 +0100

[Quoting Derek Atkins, on Jan 13, 19:41, in "Re: DS and Opt-in -  ..."]
 ....
> PS: At this point in time I believe this WG has hit a roadblock.
> I do not believe we can come to concensus on the importance of
> Opt-In. Perhaps the chairs can ask the ADs/IESG for guidance?

Hi Derek,

I don't think it's that bad, on te contrary, I think this dispute
has reached full consensus.  After several people cleared up the
misunderstading and explained that the need for double, threefold
and even fivefold SIG sets is obsoleted by DS, it is both clear
where the fear for giant zonefiles came from, and what the real
numbers are.

Let's compile it:

- There was no dispute, that the number of RRs in a TLD zone
  file increase from 3N to 5N in one step without OptIn and
  smoothly with Opt-In.
- About the size there was somewhat more variation, but all
  came in the end to something less than a factor of 6, and
  an actual signing experiment has shown it to be 4 for .com
  with a 768-bit signature.

Perhaps some people want to argue a little more on the effect of
above growth on the DNS operation, but I am convinced that nobody
will dispute that this growth is survivable. And thus, this point
is off the table.

-- ted

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.