Subject: Re: Last Call: Obsoleting IQUERY to Proposed Standard

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:20:09 -0500

I fully support the intent behind this effort, but I think it's odd 
for an RFC to state that it is "updating" specific text in another RFC,
or providing "new text for RFC 1035".  This seems confusing as it might 
be taken to imply that the text in RFC 1035 itself should be altered.

I recommend that sections 1.2 and 2 be reworded slightly 
to describe the effect of the change, instead of implying that 
changes should be made to the RFC 1035 text.

e.g.

(delete section 1.2)

2 - Effect on RFC 1035

   The effect of this document is to change the definition of opcode 1 
   from that originally defined in section 4.1.1 of RFC 1035, and to 
   entirely supersede section 6.4 (including subsections) of RFC 1035.

   The definition of opcode 1 is hereby changed to:

               "1               an inverse query (IQUERY) (obsolete)"

   The text in section 6.4 of RFC 1035 is now considered obsolete.
   The following is an applicability statement regarding the IQUERY 
   opcode:

   Inverse queries using the IQUERY opcode were originally described
   as the ability to look up the names that are associated with a
   particular RR.  Their implementation was optional and never
   achieved widespread use.  Therefore IQUERY is now obsolete, and
   name servers SHOULD return a "Not Implemented" error when an IQUERY
   request is received.

Keith

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:25:25 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the DNS Extensions Working Group
to consider Obsoleting IQUERY
<draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by February 13, 2002.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-03.txt