Subject: mail RRs

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:35:34 -0500

Apart from SCO's MMDF kit, does anybody know of any production uses of the
MB, MR, MG and MINFO RRs or the MAILA qtype?

Thanks

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:04:57 -0400

> MB, MR, MG and MINFO RRs or the MAILA qtype?

Depends on what you mean by production.

For a long time the LCS.MIT.EDU zone included a dump of the lab-wide
mail forwarding database.  As far as I know, no client ever used it
for anything, we implemented it as an experiment and just never
bothered to turn it off until the lab finally replaced the zone
generation robot for other reasons (long after I left).

MAILA stopped being useful when MF and MD turned into MX.  Perhaps you
meant MAILB?

MG has always been hopelessly broken, we just didn't figure it out
right away.  The problem is RRset truncation, which, in the case of a
mailing list, means that some names drop off the list.  Oops.