Subject: RE: [camram-spam] from the IETF Namedroppers list

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:50:09 -0700

> unfortunately, identity based mechanisms such as the one you are
> proposing increase control over e-mail as communications tool.  First,
> it effectively eliminates anonymous communication. 

No, it just means that if you send me anonymous email it goes into
the junk email inbox with the rest of the garbage I don't want to ever read.

If you want to talk to me I want to know that you are a person
I have granted the talk to Phill privilege. That does not mean that
I have to tie that net identity to any offline identity.

> Second, it makes
> it increases the difficulty of having one's own mail server without
> the cooperation of your bandwidth provider.  

Not my problem.

> Third, centralization of
> infrastructure for key management increases the ability of outside
> sources to shut off your voice by eliminating or controlling your
> keys.  

No such centralization was proposed. Actually what was proposed was
a decentralization using the clasical DNS model.

> Fourth, it does nothing to eliminate spammers who are able to
> corrupt the system.  They can generate keys and identities faster than
> you can filter them out.  If you restrict who can generate keys, then
> you provide yet another channel for control.

The Spammers can create keys, however they will not be granted the 
send email to Phill privilege so their Spam goes straight into the
'junk folder'.

It is possible that we have an intelligent client that does the 
trick of sending an automatic response to an unsolicited email 
saying "you need to respond to this email with this activation
code". 

The SPAMer can only respond to such a message if they have sent an
email with a legitimate sender address.

		Phill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>