Subject: Protocol Action: Obsoleting IQUERY to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:31:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Obsoleting IQUERY'
<draft-ietf-dnsext-obsolete-iquery-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
      The IQUERY method of performing inverse DNS lookups, specified in
      RFC 1035, has not been generally implemented and has usually been
      operationally disabled where it has been implemented. Both reflect
      a general view in the community that the concept was unwise and
      that the widely-used alternate approach of using PTR queries and
      reverse-mapping records is preferable. Consequently, this document
      deprecates the IQUERY operation and updates RFC 1035 to declare it
      entirely obsolete.
 
Working Group Summary
 
      There was concensus in the WG to advance this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
      DNS server implementations have had IQUERY disabled for a very long time
      without any adverse effects.
      This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>