Subject: RE: DNS Server DoS Attacks

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:14:50 -0800

Case in point as to why Prof Bernstein's hack is out to lunch.

Like many folk Dan is running a spam filter that requests a respond
receipt to verify an email. Unlike most folk however Dan's filter
requests a response on every single message.

One callback request is OK, every time is bad manners.

Now I know that there are spams that hijack mailing list addresses to
bypass such filters, but all my mail is signed for that reason. Whatever
you think of the VeriSign CPS I think we can all agree that even a self
signed cert should be sufficient in combination with a confirmation
email and a VeriSign class 1 should be sufficient for spam filtering
purposes.

Dan's hack solves his problem fine but does not solve the problem for
anyone else because it only solves the problem from one perspective.

		Phill

---

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:33:10 -0800

> Indeed, we took such considerations into account when we constructed
> our services.  I don't know about "the sites".

In which case we have to work out why the press either got hold of the 
wrong figures or misinterpreted the figures and used those as the basis 
of the Associated Press and Reuters reports.

By design or chance someone managed a reputation attack against the
system
that reached the mainstream media and resulted in senior policy people
calling CEOs etc. That is a major problem. Media management must be a 
part of the solution.

		Phill

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:28:07 -0500

>of the Associated Press and Reuters reports.

This has nothing to do with namedroppers. You can't control where the
agencies and the newspapers get their information.

>calling CEOs etc. That is a major problem. Media management must be a

I've almost never seen a newspaper article on something for which I have
direct personal knowledge get it right. However, this is not a TECHNICAL
problem, it's a management problem. You're asking in the wrong forum.

Danny

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>