Subject: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: Unknown types support

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:10:29 -0500

The DNSEXT working group has concluded a last call on this document
and there is consensus on advancing it as Proposed Standard.

Authors have updated the document based on comments from the last call.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-unkown-rrs-04.txt

This document updates RFC1035.
The actions in this document are:
-  require that resolvers and servers handle unknown types transparently,
    this will allow more rapid deployment of new types in the future.
- Outlaw name compression in RDATA part of new types, this is done to
   allow DNSSEC to validate new unknown types, preserve case and assist IDN
   in the future.
- Defines a standard presentation format for unknown types.

This document does not clarify the name compression rules from STD0013
separate document is needed to address that issue.

	Olafur

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>