Subject: in-addr.arpa

From: "Mohammad Awad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:37:24 +0200

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to
  miss and therefore delete mis-posts.  so fix subscription addresses! ]

where can I find details about all types of quries that is applicable to the 
in-addr.arpa ?

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:27:38 -0800

> where can I find details about all types of quries that is
> applicable to the in-addr.arpa ?

the name of the domain is orthogonal to the RRs within it.  so this
is not a protocol issue, and hence not a topic for this working
group.

that aside, operationally, from the normal uses of the in-addr.arpa
zone, at least SOA, NS, KEY, DS, SIG, and PTR would be expected.
and i have probably forgotten some.

randy

---

From: Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:00:39 +0000 (GMT)

> and i have probably forgotten some.

CNAMEs, to implement classless delegation a la RFC 2317 ?

Chris Thompson
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:03:32 +1100

Date:        Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:00:39 +0000 (GMT)
    From:        Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | > that aside, operationally, from the normal uses of the in-addr.arpa
  | > zone, at least SOA, NS, KEY, DS, SIG, and PTR would be expected.
  | > and i have probably forgotten some.
  | 
  | CNAMEs, to implement classless delegation a la RFC 2317 ?

TXT is common as well, and RP should be there, and A records for rfc1101
if anyone still does that.   Of course, also AXFR and IXFR.

But the real answer was in the first part of Randy's mail - any RR at all,
so see 1034, 1035, and all that has followed.   in-addr.arpa domains are
no different than any others, except as relates to the expected frequency
of RR's sought there.

This all assumes that "types of queries" means "types of RR's that might be
queried", if read literally though, there's only one type of query that exists
in the DNS (opcode 0) now that IQUERY has been discarded (finally) so that's
the one and only query type that you should be seeing.   The server can also
get NOTIFY and UPDATE packets, but they don't really count as queries.

kre

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:56:38 -0800

> if anyone still does that.   Of course, also AXFR and IXFR.

somehow i missed AXFR and IXFR resource records

randy

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:07:13 +1100

Date:        Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:56:38 -0800
    From:        Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | > TXT is common as well, and RP should be there, and A records for rfc1101
  | > if anyone still does that.   Of course, also AXFR and IXFR.
  | 
  | somehow i missed AXFR and IXFR resource records

He asked for query types, not RR's.

kre