Subject: qsecretary notice

From: "The qsecretary program" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 11:06:44 -0000

Hi. This is D. J. Bernstein's automated mail-handling program. I've
received a message from you. The top of your message is shown below.

Professor Bernstein receives many interesting messages. Unfortunately,
he also receives a torrent of unsolicited commercial mail, unsolicited
job applications, unsolicited mailing-list subscriptions, forged
mailing-list subscriptions, etc.

Professor Bernstein has asked me to reject all bulk mail messages. But
I'm a rather primitive computer program, and I'm not sure whether your
message is bulk mail.

If you reply to this notice, you are (1) acknowledging that Professor
Bernstein does not want to receive bulk mail; (2) confirming that your
message is not part of a bulk mailing; and (3) agreeing to pay Professor
Bernstein $250 if your message is part of a bulk mailing.

I won't look at the contents of your reply. A simple OK is fine, as long
as it's sent to the address shown above. You don't have to include a
second copy of your message.

If you do not reply to this notice, your message will eventually be
returned to you, and Professor Bernstein will not see it.

I realize that this confirmation process is inconvenient. I'm sorry for
the hassle. I hope that IM2000, Professor Bernstein's new Internet mail
architecture, succeeds in eliminating these problems. In the meantime,
we're all suffering because of a few inconsiderate people. 

Sincerely,
The qsecretary program

P.S. Professor Bernstein has asked me to convey his own apologies to you
if you're someone he knows. I'm sure he'll tell me to accept subsequent
messages from you without confirmation.

If you're replying to a message that Professor Bernstein sent you, the
problem is probably that the return address in your message isn't the
same as the address that Professor Bernstein has on file. I'll let
Professor Bernstein know that he should add your new address.

P.P.S. If you're a legitimate mailing-list manager, and you've received
what appears to be a subscription request from [email-masked]: That
request is a forgery. Professor Bernstein uses different addresses for
his mailing-list subscriptions. Please remove [email-masked] from your
mailing list. Do not reply to this message.

Note that high-quality mailing-list software confirms each subscription
request with a secure cryptographic authenticator; supports tracing by
returning a complete copy of each request, including Received fields;
and supports filtering by adding a Mailing-List field to every outgoing
message, including confirmation notices. If your software does not have
these features, upgrade!

--- Below this line is the top of your message.

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Subject: survey sez....
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:06:43 -0800 (PST)
Cc: [email-masked] (Bill Manning)

Dan,
	is there a specific test that you think I should perform to
	identify servers that are running your code?  are there
	specific tests that may be performed that will discriminate
	between the various releases of your code?

-- 
--bill

----- End of forwarded message from The qsecretary program -----

-- 
--bill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>