Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:27:03 -0600

"There is one additional instance of note, which relfects the general..."
(pg 6 para 2 line 1 (last para of section 4))  We should probably relfect
on this awhile more lest the world think we have no spell checkers.

Dan

                      Internet-Drafts@ietf                                                                    
                      .org                        To:       IETF-Announce: ;                                  
                      Sent by:                    cc:       [email-masked]                         
                      owner-namedroppers@o        Subject:  I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt   
                      ps.ietf.org                                                                             

                      01/30/2003 06:53 AM                                                                     
                      Please respond to                                                                       
                      Internet-Drafts                                                                         

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

             Title                         : Domain Name System (DNS) Case
Insensitivity
                          Clarification
             Author(s)         : D. Eastlake
             Filename          : draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt
             Pages                         : 8
             Date                    : 2003-1-29

Domain Name System (DNS) names are 'case insensitive'. This document
explains exactly what that means and provides a clear specification
of the rules. This clarification should not have any interoperability
consequences.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
             "get draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
             [email-masked].
In the body type:
             "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt".

NOTE:        The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
             MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
             feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
             command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack"
or
             a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
             exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
             "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been
split
             up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation
on
             how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ftp://[email-masked]/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:01:43 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'll do a revision before San Francisco.

Thanks,
Donald
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 [email-masked] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:27:03 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-00.txt
>

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:26:30 -0500

The "typographic convention" is decimal, not hexadecimal, and the
rules for backslash are spelled out explicitly in RFC 1035:

\X              where X is any character other than a digit (0-9), is
                used to quote that character so that its special meaning
                does not apply.  For example, "\." can be used to place
                a dot character in a label.

\DDD            where each D is a digit is the octet corresponding to
                the decimal number described by DDD.  The resulting
                octet is assumed to be text and is not checked for
                special meaning.

NB: this means that a backslash followed by one or two decimal digits
is undefined, and that a backslash followed by four decimal digits
parses as two encoded octets.

s{bytes}
 {octets}g

s{It is just that they are traditionally interpreted as ASCII characters}
 {Most applications, however, interpret them as ASCII characters}

s{Historic Note}
 {Historical Note}

s{elsewhere in the wire encoding}
 {elsewhere in the wire encoding of a DNS message}