Subject: Re: commens on draft-dnsext-opcode-discover-01.txt

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:51:05 -0500

> % > % It is not appropriate to use SRV lookups to implement getservbyname().
> % > 
> % > 	Why?  Its not forbidden and it can be made to work. 
> % 
> % a) it's changing the behavior of existing applications that expect
> %    well-known port numbers.
> %  
> % b) it's violating the SRV RFC, which states that each application needs
> %    to define how SRV is used.
> 
> 	it was an experiment. changing behaviour is one thing that experiments
> 	do. and wrt SRV, we defined how SRV is used for DNS.               

silly me.  I thought RFC 2782 defined how SRV was used for DNS, and that
the RFCs for applications defined which port numbers they use.

From RFC 2782:

Applicability Statement

   In general, it is expected that SRV records will be used by clients
   for applications where the relevant protocol specification indicates
   that clients should use the SRV record. Such specification MUST
   define the symbolic name to be used in the Service field of the SRV
   record as described below. It also MUST include security
   considerations. Service SRV records SHOULD NOT be used in the absence
   of such specification.

--
Keith Moore                              http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/
27 February 1933                                     11 September 2001

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:35:17 +0000

i thought i'd let everybody know that after some deep talks with
stuart cheshire over at apple, i am withdrawing my support and
co-authorship of the DISCOVER draft.