Subject: DNSEXT draft of revised charter

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:20:41 -0500

Send in comments before Randy and I send this one to the IESG.

DNSEXT DNS Extensions Working group
---------------------------------------------------

  Charter
  Last Modified: 28-February-2003

  Current Status: Active Working Group (being rechartered)

  Chair(s):
      Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
      Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Director(s):
      Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>
      Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Advisor:
      Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

  Mailing Lists:
      General Discussion: [email-masked]
      To Subscribe:       [email-masked]
      Archive:		<http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

Description of Working Group:

DNS is originally specified in RFC's 1034 and 1035, with subsequent
updates.  Within the scope of this WG are protocol issues, including
message formats, message handling, and data formats. New work items
and milestones may be added from time-to-time with the approval of the
Working Group and the IESG.

Issues surrounding the operation of DNS, recommendations concerning
the configuration of DNS servers, and other issues with the use of the
protocol are out of this Working Group's charter.  These issues are
considered in other venues, such as operational issues in the DNS
Operations Working Group.

Broad topics under consideration in DNSEXT are dynamic update, notify,
zone transfers, security and support for IPv6 DNS deployment.

The current task within this Working Group is to advance several
documents describing proposed extensions to DNS.

Specific work items are:
       o Protocol clarifications and corrections for DNSSEC, initially
         these clarifications will be done as separate RFCs which will
	later be folded into a revised RFC 2535 etc. These include
         plans and changes that simplify the operation of DNSSEC.
       o Complete the documents that update the DNSSEC protocol, this
         include DS, Restrict-Key, AD-is-secure, Opt-in, etc.
         Generate new specification documents of DNSSEC that includes
         all changes to RFC2535, this includes the documents above,
	as well as following RFCs 2931, 3007, 3008, 3090 and 3226.
       o DNS clarification and extensions
       o IPv6 support in DNS records and IPv6 DNS services
       o Investigate how protocol changes, use of multicast, etc. might
         support zeroconf environments, the possible approaches include:
	LLMNR and Discover

Goals and Milestones:

   Where there is no milestone for a work item mentioned above,
   the working group has not yet decided upon the priority for
   the item, or, in some cases, whether active work will be undertaken,
   and no target milestone has yet been set.

  Feb 03  Forward TKEY renewal mode to IESG for Experimental Standard.
  Mar 03  Forward IPv6 auto-registration to IESG for Experimental
  Mar 03  Submit to IESG RFC1886bis (AAAA) to Draft standard.
  Mar 03  Submit to IESG Publish DNS Discover as Experimental.
  Mar 03  Submit to IESG DHCID RR for Proposed Standard.
  Mar 03  Forward LLMNR IESG for Draft Standard.
  Mar 03  Determine whether to forward "DNSSEC Opt-in" IESG.
  Mar 03  Submit to IESG Delegation Signer for Proposed Standard.
  Mar 03  Submit to IESG Threat model for DNS as informational RFC.
  Apr 03  First WG last call on DNSSEC (RFC2535-bis).
  Jun 03  Issue final Last call of DNSSEC rewrite.
  Jul 03  Submit RFC1996 (Notify) to IESG for Draft Standard.
  Jul 03  Submit to IESG KEY algorithm documents RFC253[69] and RFC3110 to 
IESG.
  Aug 03  Forward RFC2535-bis to IESG for to IESG for Proposed standard.
  Aug 03  RFC1995 (IXFR) advanced to Draft standard.
  Aug 03  Submit to IESG RFC2136bis (Dynamic Update) to Draft Standard.
  Aug 03  Submit to IESG RFC2308 (Neg Caching) to Draft Standard.
  Aug 03  Submit to IESG RFC2671 (EDNS0) to Draft Standard.
  Oct 03  Submit to IESG AXFR clarify to Draft Standard.
  Nov 03  Submit to IESG RFC2835 (TSIG)to Draft standard.
  Nov 03  Submit to IESG RFC3007 (Secure Update) to Draft standard.
  Dec 03  Submit to IESG RFC2930 (TKEY) to Draft standard.
  Feb 04  Submit RFC2181 (Clarify) to IESG for advancement to Draft Standard.
  Apr 04  Submit RFC2535-bis to IESG for Draft standard.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>