Subject: LLMNR Issue 29: Valid Responses

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:56:21 -0800 (PST)

Issue 29: Valid Responses
Submitter: Christian Huitema
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: January 17, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-13
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 3
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Insert the following text in Section 3:

3.1 Names and addresses in LLMNR responses

Some DNS RRs include values that are specific to an interface, such as
IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, or domain names that defended using the LLMNR
mechanism. RRs returned in LLMNR responses MUST only include values that
are valid on the local interface. In particular:

* If a link-scope IPv6 address is returned in a AAAA RR, that address MUST
be valid on the local link over which LLMNR is used;

* If an IPv4 address is returned, it must be reachable through the link
over which LLMNR is used;

* If a domain name is returned (for example in a CNAME, MX or SRV record),
the name must be valid on the local interface.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>