Subject: Re: RFC 2181: What is the maximum length of a domain name?

From: [email-masked] (David C Lawrence)
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 23:26:56 -0400

Edward Lewis writes:
> It looks to me 4*(63+63+63+61)+5 = 1005 octets for the [maximum
> standard text representation] is possible

Only four labels means only four dots when written with the root label
dot.  1004 total.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:27:51 -0400

>Only four labels means only four dots when written with the root label

D'oh.  I keep forgetting that 5 length octets = 4 dots.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Note to pilots: a three-point landing SHOULD NOT include a wing.