Subject: Re: DS-13: record ordering

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 11:59:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Sam Weiler wrote:

> DS-13 section 2.2 says "...MUST include the following RRsets ... in
> this order..."  Does the order really matter?  Is there something that
> will break if they're reordered?  Should the "in this order" be
> dropped?
>

No, this is to protect old resolvers, they see NS before DS.
We had some experiance with this when NXT was originally introduced,
in order to not kill old resolvers the NXT had to have a SOA in
the Authority section. The SOA is redundant to the resolvers that
understand NXT.

	Olafur

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:52:52 +1000

> No, this is to protect old resolvers, they see NS before DS.

	How does this protect them?

> the Authority section. The SOA is redundant to the resolvers that

	It is the presence of the SOA record not the order that was
	important here.  Remember that you got DNSSEC style answers
	initially regardless of whether you requested them or not.

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]