Subject: Proposed Resolution to LLMNR Issue 40: Admin intervention

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

The text of Issue 40 is enclosed below. Here is the proposed fix:

In Section 4,  add after the last paragraph:

"When name conflicts are detected, they SHOULD be logged.
To detect duplicate use of a name, an administrator can use a name
resolution utility which employs LLMNR and list both the responses and
the responders. This would allow an administrator to diagnose behavior
and potentially to intervene and reconfigure LLMNR responders who should
not be configured to respond to the same name."

---------------------------------------------
Issue 40: Administrative intervention
Submitter: Erik Guttman
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: May 25, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-20
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

I checked out llmnr-20. I like it except there is no mention I could
find about administrative intervention. Something like

"To detect duplicate use of a name, an administrator could use a name
resolution utility which employs LLMNR and list both the responses and
the responders. This would allow an administrator to diagnose behavior
and potentially to intervene and reconfigure llmnr responders who should
not be configured to respond with the same name."

This heads off the complaint that dupes won't get detected at all. We
can say sure they do - but by an administrator who cares and can
intervene.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>