Subject: DDNS-DHCP [4]: 12 bit RCODEs in DHCP FQDN option

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:53:57 -0400 (EDT)

DDNS-DHCP issue:

   The DHCP FQDN option should carry 12 bit RCODEs, for
   consistency with the extended RCODEs defined by EDNS0.

(reposted with corrected issue number...)

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Mark Stapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:49:52 -0400

This issue was raised once before. There's some history here, so I'll try 
to summarize it briefly.

The format of the dhcp fqdn option has been around for a long time. It was 
used in the implementation of some dhcp clients. There are very many of 
those clients, and they really expect that there are two bytes of data in 
those RCODE positions. The only RCODEs that are part of the dhcp/dns specs 
fix in 8 bits. We reached consensus on the mailing list that it was more 
important to maintain support for the millions of deployed clients than it 
was to change the physical format of the dhcp option for this purpose. I 
recorded this decision in section 4.2 of the fqdn option draft.

-- Mark

At 06:53 AM 6/6/2003 -0400, Ralph Droms wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>dhcwg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg