Subject: wild cards and NS's

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:16:06 -0400

I'm writing up some more text for the wild card draft and am stuck on 
something.

As background, a few of us talked about wild card CNAMEs and 
concluded that because of the text in 4.3.2c and then looking at 
4.3.2a, these things are useless.  Besides strengthening that a wild 
card-CNAME doesn't continue the search and is only returned when 
asked for directly, we added a SHOULD saying that a server ought to 
complain (refuse to load) when seeing a '* CNAME' in the input.

When it comes to NS's though, it's not so clearly cut that this is a 
"bad thing" (tm).  I can't bring myself to record the same bad words 
for NS's that I did for CNAME's, no matter how evil NS's at * might 
seem to be.

I'm likely to add text explaining why only wayward youth would want 
to have * NS, but then explain how it could be pulled off.

As I'm (one of the) editor(s) of this text, I'd like to get folks to 
make statements on this that I could then plagiarize for the 
document. ;)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

...as graceful as a blindfolded bull in a china shop...

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>