Subject: WC - r4.1 proposed new text

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:12:36 -0700 (PDT)

ok... Ed, are you happy w/ this?

       R4.1  A wild card domain name acting as a QNAME MUST be treated
              as any other QNAME.   Caches are not required to cache the
              results of such a lookup (see RFC1034 section 4.3.3), but
              there MUST be no other special processing accorded it. 
              An atrribute of this synthesized response would be that 
              the authority server set the TTL to 0 on any such synthesized
              reply. Synthesis does not occur at the caching server.     
              Non-authoritatve servers have no means via the DNS protcol
              to infer if a wildcard domain name was used to synthesize
              the data being cached or not.

--bill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:50:05 +0700

Date:        Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:12:36 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        [email-masked]
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | ok... Ed, are you happy w/ this?

[some fine text deleted ...:-)]

  |               An atrribute of this synthesized response would be that 
  |               the authority server set the TTL to 0 on any such synthesized
  |               reply.

But that isn't what happens, nor is it what we want to happen, nor
do we want caches (or others) starting to infer that a response with a
TTL of 0 means that it is the result of a wildcard expansion.

Wildcard expansions should get whatever TTL was given to the '*' record
in the zone file.

Paul's point was that if a server wanted to prevent wildcard expansion
results from being cached, it would need to send TTL==0 - which is absolutely
correct.   The way to achieve that is to put a 0 TTL on the '*'.

  |		  Synthesis does not occur at the caching server.

That's true, but if that is to be included here, I'd say MUST NOT rather
than does not.
    
  |               Non-authoritatve servers have no means via the DNS protcol
  |               to infer if a wildcard domain name was used to synthesize
  |               the data being cached or not.

This is true as well, but I don't thing this belongs here - it would be
worthwhile for the draft to say this, or something similar, somewhere, but
it doesn't belong in one of these Rn.m paragraphs.

kre