Subject: LLMNR Issue 46: Retransmission Behavior

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 46: Retransmission behavior
Submitter name: Stuart Cheshire
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: August 24, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-22
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:
>For each UNIQUE resource record in a given interface's configuration,
>the host MUST verify resource record uniqueness on that interface. To
>accomplish this, the host MUST send an LLMNR query for each UNIQUE
>resource record.

How many LLMNR queries? What interval?

How long after the query (or queries) may it start issuing responses for
that name?

[BA] UNIQUEness verification is handled similarly to any other query, as
specified in Section 2.6.

What about tie-breaking in the event of simultaneous startup (e.g. when
power is restored after an outage)?

[BA] The draft does not specify what is done in the event of a name
conflict. In general, automatic name change may be neither possible nor
desirable.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>