Subject: WGLC Summary wcard-clarify

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:41:21 +0200

Colleagues,

This is a summary of the WGLC on wcard-clarify-01.txt.

The overall consensus of the working-group is that clarification of
wildcard behavior is necessary and that the document is to proceed on
the standard track.

There are a number of textual and style nits that need to be fixed. In
addition there has been a mistake in the label definition that will be
fixed.

Two issues have been opened that will need to be fixed:

  - multi-wild cards being described in the draft as legal when they
    are SHOULD NOT in the original

  - 1034 says not to cache the answer to a
    QNAME=*.<something>. Essentially this means that special
    processing is needed.

    Question is if the document should specify that caching of answers
    to QNAME=*.<something> is allowed with the provision that the
    caches must not try to be intelligent and perform synthesis
    themselves.

There were a number of other issues brought up during last call.

  - It was argued that there are other ways to synthesize records and
    other ways to transfer this data between servers.

    The document clarifies the textual representation that is needed
    for AXFR and in the RFC1034/1035 zone file format.

    From the IETF perspective (documents in standard, or standard
    track) there are no other methods for zone file transfers or other
    rules for record synthesize. Hence this issue is out of scope.

  - There was an argument over the meaning and the interpretation by
    caches of name errors.

    This issue is argued to be out of scope since the document;
       - Defines the behavior of authoritative servers only and;
       - Does not redefine the definitions in RFC 1034.

How we proceed.

I'll start new threads, with deadlines and default actions, on the
issues that are still open. The document editor will incorporate the
textual nits and the result on the discussion of the open issues and
will then send a updated version to the working group for 2 weeks
review.

If no new issues are raised that document will be forwarded to the
IESG.

-- Olaf Kolkman
   DNSEXT Co-Chair.

PS. I'll use these two issues to experiment with the issue
tracker announced in a previous mail.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>