Subject: comment on "DNSSEC Operational Practices" Term

From: "Scott Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:51:25 -0500

There is one disagreement between the DNSSEC Operational Practices draft and
the DNSSECbis Protocol draft.  That is how to classify and handle "BAD" RR
sets in responses.

The Appendix in the operational draft states that "BAD data is not cached."
However, the proto doc states that a resolver may want to have a "BAD" data
cache for various reasons.  Under normal circumstances, a resolver will not
want to cache proven BAD data (however you want to define BAD), but there
are cases where it might be useful for the resolver to have a BAD data
cache.

The punchline:  Everyone read the protocol draft and see if you agree with
the current wording on sections 3 and 4 regarding caching nameservers and
resolvers (please).  And read the operational practices draft (please. It is
another needed draft IMHO).

Scott

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:49:04 +0100

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:51:25 -0500

> another needed draft IMHO).

FYI that draft is: 
    draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-operational-practices-00.txt
It is under review in DNSOP.

The practices document will need to be in sync with whatever proto sais, not 
the other way around.

-- Olaf

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:36:39 -0800 (PST)

> are cases where it might be useful for the resolver to have a BAD data

	the protocol draft has it right.

--bill

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:47:42 +0100

[On 28 Oct, @16:36, bmanning wrote in "Re: comment on "DNSSEC Operati ..."]
> 	the protocol draft has it right.

ok, to stop this from lingering on, I changed to ops-draft already. Change wil
be in 01.

grtz Miek