Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-2535typecode-change-05.txt

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:58:39 -0500 (EST)

> 	Title		: Legacy Resolver Compatibility for Delegation Signer
> 	Author(s)	: S. Weiler
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-2535typecode-change-05.txt
> 	Pages		: 5
> 	Date		: 2003-10-13
...
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-2535typecode-change-05.txt

There is a trivial but obvious bug in this document.  The thing that
disturbs me is that it took almost a month for anyone (besides the
editor) to find it, or at least to point it out.

Thanks to Rob Payne for actually reading the document.  For being the
first to mention the bug to me, Rob wins a pint of his choice at
Brit's Pub or some other fine Minneapolis watering hole.

(Read the docs.  You might be surprised at what is (not) in them.
And if you embarrass the doc editor(s) enough, you might even get free
beer.)

-- Sam

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Mike StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:36:53 -0500

Hi Sam -

I actually didn't read this because it should be (e.g. I assumed it was) 
subsumed by the -protocol document.  Was the obvious bug carried over to 
-protocol?

Later, mike

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:46:57 -0500 (EST)

> subsumed by the -protocol document.  Was the obvious bug carried over to

No, it was not.

It still may be worthwhile to read the document since, among other
things, it makes IANA changes.  While the bis doc set will include the
relevant protocol details, it will presumably not repeat the IANA
actions, and the IANA actions are the most signifigant changes between
-04 and -05.  This draft also discusses some of the motivation and
history for the type code roll.

FWIW, the bug in question presumably would have been fixed by the RFC
Editor before publication.  (Or in -06, since the IANA section still
seems to be of concern to some.)

-- Sam