Subject: LLMNR Issue 59: Miscellaneous Issues

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:41:09 -0800 (PST)

LLMNR Issue 59: Miscellaneous Issues
Submitter name: Olafur Gudmundsson
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: December 17, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-27
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The draft could benefit from addition of a section gathering
in one place all the requirements relating to the use of the
DNS packet format for LLMNR. For example, use of the TR bit
is not defined and neither are the AD and CD bits (which I
assume are set to zero).

In Section 2.2, change:

"In conventional DNS terminology a DNS server authoritative for a zone is
authoritative for all the domain names under the zone root except for
the branches delegated into separate zones. Contrary to conventional
DNS terminology, an LLMNR responder is authoritative only for the zone
root."

To:

"In conventional DNS terminology a DNS server authoritative for a zone is
authoritative for all the domain names under the zone appex except for
the branches delegated into separate zones. Contrary to conventional
DNS terminology, an LLMNR responder is authoritative only for the zone
appex."

In Section 2.2, change:

"Responders SHOULD respond to LLMNR queries for names and addresses
they are authoritative for. This applies to both forward and
reverse lookups."

To:

"Responders MUST respond to LLMNR queries for names and addresses
they are authoritative for. This applies to both forward and
reverse lookups."

Add the following paragraph to Section 2.2:

"Upon configuring an IP address responders typically will
synthesize corresponding A, AAAA and PTR RRs so
as to be able to respond to LLMNR queries for these
RRs. An SOA RR is synthesized only when a responder
has another RR as well; the SOA RR MUST NOT be the only
RR that a responder has.
However, in general whether RRs are manually or
automatically created is an implementation decision."

Change Section 2.7 from:

"The responder should use a pre-configured TTL value in the records
returned in the LLMNR query response. A default value of 0 is
recommended in highly dynamic environments (such as mobile ad-hoc
networks). In less dynamic environments, LLMNR traffic can be reduced
by setting the TTL to a higher value.

Due to the TTL minimalization necessary when caching an RRset, all TTLs
in an RRset MUST be set to the same value."

To:

"The responder should use a pre-configured TTL value in the records
returned in the LLMNR query response. A default value of 30 seconds
is RECOMMENDED. In highly dynamic environments (such as mobile ad-hoc
networks), the TTL value may need to be reduced.

Due to the TTL minimalization necessary when caching an RRset, all TTLs
in an RRset MUST be set to the same value."

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>