Subject: RFC 3658 Delegation Signer (DS) Resource Record (RR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:34:41 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3658

        Title:      Delegation Signer (DS) Resource Record (RR)
        Author(s):  O. Gudmundsson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 42120
        Updates:    3090, 3008, 2535, 1035

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-delegation-signer-15.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3658.txt

The delegation signer (DS) resource record (RR) is inserted at a zone
cut (i.e., a delegation point) to indicate that the delegated zone is
digitally signed and that the delegated zone recognizes the indicated
key as a valid zone key for the delegated zone.  The DS RR is a
modification to the DNS Security Extensions definition, motivated by
operational considerations.  The intent is to use this resource record
as an explicit statement about the delegation, rather than relying on
inference.

This document defines the DS RR, gives examples of how it is used and
describes the implications on resolvers.  This change is not backwards
compatible with RFC 2535.  This document updates RFC 1035, RFC 2535,
RFC 3008 and RFC 3090.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.