Subject: RE: List administration (fwd)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:33:38 -0800

If the IETF wants to get into this type of discussion it should do what most
other standards organizations do and exclusively provide the mailing list
facilities itself. Policy and practice for mailing list management may be
thus perfectly aligned.

Given the astonishing sums paid by ISOC to the secretariat to support the
RFC editor function this should be well in scope. 

I am not a Randy Bush fan. But attacking him for what amounts to parking
fines merely cheapens the case against the damage he has caused this group
in particular and the IETF in general.

This whole discussion should probably be taken to another list, I suggest,
"why are we in this handbasket and why do the roadsigns point to Hades?"

		Phill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 22:44:39 +0100

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]> writes:
 * 
 * This whole discussion should probably be taken to another list

Thanks Philip, exactly my thinking.

The mail-list is prudently managed. I have confirmed that there are no
special delivery settings. All recipients are treated the same. (So to
use Phillip's metaphore, there was a parking ticket being waved, not
handed out).

To repeat the list policy:

   Moderation is based on "subscriber-only with spam filter".

   Questions or concerns related to the acceptance or rejection of
   specific messages to the namedroppers mailing list should first be
   discussed with the wg chairs, with followup appeals using the normal
   appeals process of rfc 2026 (i.e., follup with area directors, then
   iesg, etc.).

If there are problems in delivery, i.e. differences of what is in your 
mailbox and in the archive, please notify the chairs. We will not
troubleshoot individual problems because they could be caused by all kind 
of problems at the recipient end, however if there are patterns we will 
follow up.

Randy is doing a good job, he is doing it professionally and prudently!

This is the last mail on this topic. We have work to do.

--Olaf Kolkman
  DNSEXT Co-Chair