Subject: DNSEXT list policy

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:35:01 +0100

- List Purpose

  [email-masked] is the mailing list for the IETF DNSEXT
  working group.  

  See <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsext-charter.html> for the
  wg charter.  Messages should be on topics appropriate to the dnsext
  wg, which are various discussion of the DNS protocols or
  administrivia of the WG itself.

- Specific items that are not not appropriate for posting

  Calls for papers, announcements of events not directly relevant to
  the DNS protocols, etc. are not appropriate.  

  Discussion of problems with particular implementations,
  announcements of releases, sites' misconfigurations, pleas for help
  with specific implementations, etc.  should be done on mailing lists
  for the particular implementations.

  There is a working group for dns operational practice, DNSOP, whose
  charter can be found at
  <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsop-charter.html>. Items
  relevant to the DNSOP charter are to be discussed on the DNSOP
  mailinglist.

  Discussion about the quality of implementations is outside the scope
  of this list.

- Moderation

  Moderation is based on "subscriber-only with spam filter".

  Questions or concerns related to the acceptance or rejection of
  specific messages to the namedroppers mailing list should first be
  discussed with the wg chairs, with followup appeals using the normal
  appeals process of rfc 2026 (i.e., follup with area directors, then
  iesg, etc.).

  There is a mailing list for the discussion of ietf processes, which
  includes any general discussion of the moderation of ietf mailing
  lists.  it is [email-masked]

- Issue Tracker

  As of October 2003 this group will use an issue tracker. This is to
  better organize the work-flow, maintain overview over, and focus the
  discussions to the working group documents. 

  Please stick to the following procedure when discussing working
  group work documents.

  == The system

  The issue tracker can be found at: 
  
  https://roundup.machshav.com/dnsext/index 

  The chairs are responsible for maintaining the data in the issue
  tracker. That task may be delegated to document editors. If a
  document editor prefers other tracking systems they are free to
  coordinate that with the chairs.

  == Creating a new issue.

  New Issue tickets are only created for working group document.

  If you have an issue a document please sent in a mail with a subject
  header of the following format

  <NAME> ISSUE: <title>

  Where <NAME> is taken from the I-D's file name
  draft-ietf-dnsext-<name>-<version> and the <title> is a short
  description of the issue presented.

  Please use the following template to submit an issue:

    To: [email-masked]
    Cc: [email-masked]
    Subject: FOO-RR-PROCESSING ISSUE: BLA-bit vs FOO-flag interop problem

    One line description of issue

    name: Your_Name_Here
    email: Your_Email_Address_Here
    Date: Insert_Date_Here
    Reference: URL to e-mail describing problem, if available
    Type: ['T'echnical | 'E'ditorial]
    Priority: ['C'ritical | 'U'rgent | 'B'ug | 'F'eature | 'W'ish ]

    Document: draft-ietf-dnsext-<name>-<version>
    Section: Insert_Section_Number_Here

    Rationale/Explanation of issue:
         Length description of problem

    Requested change:
         Proposal

  The proposal for the requested change is the most important bit of
  the issue. Providing a proposed text will focus discussion and
  relieves the document-editors. A new issue MUST therefore contain a
  text in the 'requested change' field.

  Once a new "ISSUE" message is received on the list the chairs or
  document editors will add the issue to the document tracker and
  reply to the list providing a URL and a relevant issue identifier.

  == Discussion of issues.  

  Discussion of issues takes place on the list.  Please reply
  'in-thread' when discussing an issue and try to stay within scope of
  the issue at hand.

  The chairs or the document editors will copy relevant messages, or
  abstracts thereof to the issue tracker so that the gist of the
  discussion can be followed using the tracker. There may be a few
  days lag between the list and the tracker. The archive remains the
  authoritative log for the discussion.

  == Bouncing of issues

  The chairs may decide not to create a entry in the issue tracker if
  an issue does not relate to a working group document; the issue has
  already been discussed and the issue has been closed; if there is
  no proposed change or; if the issue is irrelevant to any of the
  working group documents. 

  == Discussion of matters not in the issue tracker.

  Feel free to bring up matters that are not related to working group
  documents (but appropriate to the group); they do not need an issue
  tracking number. 

  == Closing of issues.

  Chairs or document editors will close issues once resolved. In the
  tracking system a note will be made in which document version the
  issue was resolved.

---

NOTE WELL:

All statements related to the activities of the IETF and addressed to the 
IETF are subject to all provisions of Section 10 of RFC 2026, which grants 
to the IETF and its participants certain licenses and rights in such 
statements.

Such statements include verbal statements in IETF meetings, as well as 
written and electronic communications made at any time or place, which are 
addressed to

    - the IETF plenary session,
    - any IETF working group or portion thereof,
    - the IESG, or any member thereof on behalf of the IESG,
    - the IAB or any member thereof on behalf of the IAB,
    - any IETF mailing list, including the IETF list itself,
      any working group or design team list, or any other list
      functioning under IETF auspices,
    - the RFC Editor or the Internet-Drafts function

Statements made outside of an IETF meeting, mailing list or other function, 
that are clearly not intended to be input to an IETF activity, group or 
function, are not subject to these provisions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
$Id: dnsext-list-policy.txt,v 1.4 2003/09/25 08:26:13 olaf Exp $

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>