Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:47:36 +0900

>> > iana should create a registry of service identifiers, by importing the
>> > BSD file "/etc/services" and then periodically amending it for new
>> > standards
>
>which would be different from
><http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>?

Actually, I always thought that RFC 2782's [STD 2] reference
was to the "PROTOCOL AND SERVICE NAMES" section, aka
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names>, and people who looked
for the names in port-numbers were confused by the lack of strong binding
to the reference (since there's no strong requirement for a port number
assignment, just a name).

  Bill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:32:14 +0100

> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names>, and people who looked

this teaches us that the registry name will need to be specified explicitly,
especially since URL references to the IANA registries are (were when I tried)
only allowed to point to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html.

> for the names in port-numbers were confused by the lack of strong binding

Thanks, and increase the number of confused :-)

> assignment, just a name).

The document you mention references WKS RRs, and since SRV is an orthogonal,
though not totally unrelated, concept, it may be useful to use the same
registry. However, since WKS uses port numbers (in a bit string) on-the-wire,
I'm not too sure I understand the reasoning behind a registry dealing with
names *only*. What's more important is some kind of link to the spec
describing a) the protocol and b) use of SRV RRs in connection with that
protocol. Elevation of 2782 will give us an opportunity to clarify this.

-Peter

---

From: Andras Salamon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:09:22 +0200

> only allowed to point to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html.

RFC 3232 makes reference to http://www.iana.org/ which in turn makes a
reference to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html but then the trail gets
cold.  There are several potential documents that could be relevant,
for instance either http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
(this is the classic /etc/services document we have all been
using as a reference, but isn't obviously tied in to DNS) or
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names (which could be relevant
since it is explicitly associated with WKS records).

> Elevation of 2782 will give us an opportunity to clarify this.

I would like to document the "correct" usage of SRV records at DNSRD,
so I agree that the next version of 2782 should explicitly refer to the
correct registry document.

Now, which one is it?  port-numbers or service-names?

-- Andras Salamon                   [email-masked]
-- DNS Resources Directory          http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:15:25 +0000

> Now, which one is it?  port-numbers or service-names?

there isn't one.  and unless one of you writes an internet-draft which
asks iana to import /etc/services and then maintain the master copy of
it, then 2782bis will not have anything to point at.

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:52:17 +0100

> asks iana to import /etc/services and then maintain the master copy of

I'm sorry but I do not see any difference between /etc/services and
the "port-numbers" registry except for the non-existence of aliases in the
latter. What do you miss?

-Peter

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:00:49 +0000

> latter. What do you miss?

ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers' "keyword" field (which wasn't
there a few years ago when i last looked at this file) seems like the right
answer.  however, a purely SRV-discovered service might not _have_ a default
port number, in which case ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/service-names would
be the better choice for an SRV's owner name.  and, it would be good to know
that iana's policy is to keep synchronization between port-numbers keywords,
and service-names.