Subject: Re: LLMNR authorized range

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:41:55 -0800 (PST)

>LLMNR will make it impossible to resolve names of some devices on the
>same link just because they exist on a different subnet.

No. All but PTR RR queries will be sent to the link-scope multicast
address, so they will be resolved without a problem.

>As far as I can see, that is only a problem with PTR queries, which
>often fail anyway.

Yes. Only PTR queries are sent via TCP.  Given that other
queries will work and applications need to be prepared for
PTR RR queries to fail anyway, you'll only see somewhat degraded
performance.  On the other hand, there is a performance improvement for
other cases, since TTL=1 causes unresolvable PTR RR queries to fail
quickly, rather than having to wait for LLMNR_TIMEOUT.  So this is
really just an optimization issue and I'm not clear
that optimizing for an uncommon case (e.g. TTL=5) makes sense.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>