Subject: draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-31.txt

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:30:30 +0300

While reading section "2.4. Unicast queries and responses", I think it
might be clearer with few added (+) and deleted (-) lines. This is
just for consideration. Idea is make it clear from upfront that
UNICAST == TCP use!

----------------------------------------------------------
2.4.  Unicast queries and responses

   Unicast queries SHOULD be sent when:

   [a] A sender repeats a query after it received a response
       with the TC bit set to the previous LLMNR multicast query, or

   [b] The sender queries for a PTR RR of a fully formed IP address
       within the "in-addr.arpa" or "ip6.arpa" zones.

-  A responder receiving a unicast query MUST send the response with a
-  source address set to the destination address field of the IP header
-  of the query causing the response.
- [above is unnecessary statement, because it is implicitly true
- when using TCP!]

-  Unicast LLMNR queries MUST be sent using TCP.  Senders MUST support
+  Unicast LLMNR queries MUST be done using TCP and the responses MUST
+  be sent using the same connection as the query. Senders MUST support
   sending TCP queries, and responders MUST support listening for TCP
   queries.

-  Responses to TCP unicast LLMNR queries MUST be sent using TCP,  using
.  the same connection as the query.  If the sender of a TCP query
+  If the sender of a TCP query
   receives a response to that query not using TCP, the response MUST be
   silently discarded.

   Unicast UDP queries MUST be silently discarded.

   If TCP connection setup cannot be completed in order to send a
   unicast TCP query, this is treated as a response that no records of
   the specified type and class exist for the specified name (it is
   treated the same as a response with RCODE=0 and an empty answer
   section).
----------------------------------------------------------------

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>