Subject: dns rr types

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:18:00 -0400

IANA's list of RR types has:
TYPE            value and meaning                         Reference
----------      --------------------------------------    ---------
...
UINFO           100                                       [IANA-Reserved]
UID             101                                       [IANA-Reserved]
GID             102                                       [IANA-Reserved]
UNSPEC          103                                       [IANA-Reserved]
...

I don't see any mention of them in RFC 2929 (DNS-IANA considerations).

Does anyone know where these are defined?  Or why they are reserved?
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Even the voices inside my head are refusing to talk to me anymore.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:12:26 +0000

legacy stuff. our old zones here had UNIFO/UID/GID data and the 4.9
upgrades (i think it was 4.9...) summarily dropped support for these
rr types, causing me to have to edit the zone files, removing these.

I'd have to poll the old timers, but the rdata for these records roughly
matched the following:

	UINFO ==  "human name/account"
	UID   ==  "Unix UID"	
	GID   ==  "Unix GID"

No ID or RFC documents these bad boys.  One might find more data in the
old CHAOS/Athena docsets :)

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:17:41 +1000

> TYPE            value and meaning                         Reference

	They are reserved because they existed in BIND 4.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:25:20 +0000

> rr types, causing me to have to edit the zone files, removing these.

right.  since there was no rfc documenting them, i took them out of bind.

> I'd have to poll the old timers, ...

mike schwartz was the originator of UNSPEC.  only dunlap or karels could
answer for the rest.

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:12:19 -0400

> old CHAOS/Athena docsets :)

I suppose one would need to have lived through the 1980s at MIT to
understand why the phrase "Chaos/Athena" is so hilarious.

My recollection is that these RR types date back to the era when BIND
4 was still being maintained at UC Berkeley, and may have originated
at UCB itself.

It's unlikely that they came from MIT's Project Athena, which did
indeed use DNS to distribute such data, but did so via Hesiod TXT RRs
in the HS class.  It's -very- unlikely that this had anything to do
with Chaosnet, among other reasons, because there were never that many
Chaosnet Unix machines to begin with, and as far as I know the Unix
Chaosnet code base never made the jump from host tables to DNS.