Subject: Re: [dnsop] Re: getaddrinfo/TTL and resolver application-interface

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 06:15:29 +0300 (EEST)

[ Moderators note: Post by non-subscriber.  With the massive amount of
   spam, it is easy to miss and therefore delete relevant posts 
   by non-subsrcibers. Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> 	getaddrinfo() is not a DNS-only function; it can lookup hostname-to
> 	address using /etc/hosts, NIS, LDAP, whatever you have.  what value
> 	would you put in to ai_ttl when the lookup is done by non-DNS method?

-1, unless something else is provided?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:03:01 +0900

>-1, unless something else is provided?

	then what do you expect application to do with the data?  when does
	it expire?  any fabricated value (-1, 0, whatever) in ai_ttl is
	problematical to TTL-aware application, IMHO.  what i'm suggesting
	is to use DNS-only API like getrrrsetbyname() if you want TTL.

itojun