Subject: rfc 3267 interoperability report

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

This memo (not yet submitted to the internet drafts editor) documents the 
result from the RFC 3267 (Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record Types) 
interoperability testing.  I will also present the results of the tests at 
the DNSEXT meeting tomorrow.

 	jakob

DNS Extensions Working Group                                 J. Schlyter
Internet-Draft                                            August 2, 2004
Expires: January 31, 2005

                     RFC 3267 Interoperability Report
                   draft-ietf-dnsext-interop3597-00.txt

Status of this Memo

    By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that any applicable
    patent or other IPR claims of which I am aware have been disclosed,
    and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in accordance with
    RFC 3667.

    Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
    Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that other
    groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
    and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
    time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
    material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

    The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at http://
    www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

    The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
    http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

    This Internet-Draft will expire on January 31, 2005.

Copyright Notice

    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

    This memo documents the result from the RFC 3267 (Handling of Unknown
    DNS Resource Record Types) interoperability testing.

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft      RFC 3267 Interoperability Report         August 2004

Table of Contents

    1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    2.  Implementations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.  Tests  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.1 Authoritative Primary Name Server  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.2 Authoritative Secondary Name Server  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.3 Full Recursive Resolver  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.4 Stub Resolver  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
    3.5 DNSSEC Signer  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    4.  Problems found . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    5.  Summary  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
        Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
        Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    A.  Test zone data . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
        Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . .  6

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft      RFC 3267 Interoperability Report         August 2004

1. Introduction

    This memo documents the result from the RFC 3267 (Handling of Unknown
    DNS Resource Record Types) interoperability testing.  The test was
    performed during June and July 2004 by request of the IETF DNS
    Extensions Working Group.

2. Implementations

    The following is a list, in alphabetic order, of implementations for
    compliance of RFC 3597:

       DNSJava 1.6.4
       ISC BIND 8.4.5rc4
       ISC BIND 9.3.0rc2
       NSD 2.1.1
       Net::DNS 0.47 patchlevel 1
       Nominum ANS 2.2.1.0.d

    These implementations covers the following functions (number of
    implementations tested for each function in paranthesis):

       Authoritative Name Servers (4)
       Full Recursive Resolver (2)
       Stub Resolver (4)
       DNSSEC Zone Signers (2)

3. Tests

3.1 Authoritative Primary Name Server

    The test zone data (Appendix A) was loaded into the name server
    implementation and the server was queried for the loaded information.

3.2 Authoritative Secondary Name Server

    The test zone data (Appendix A) was transferred using AXFR from
    another name server implementation and the server was queried for the
    transferred information.

3.3 Full Recursive Resolver

    A recursive resolver was queried for resource records from a domain
    with the test zone data (Appendix A).

3.4 Stub Resolver

    A stub resolver was used to query resource records from a domain with

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft      RFC 3267 Interoperability Report         August 2004

    the test zone data (Appendix A).

3.5 DNSSEC Signer

    A DNSSEC signer was used to sign a zone with test zone data (Appendix
    A).

4. Problems found

    Two implementations had problems with text presentation of zero
    length RDATA.

    One implementation had problems with text presentation of RR type
    code and classes >= 4096.

    Bug reports were filed for problems found.

5. Summary

    Unknown type codes works in the tested authoritative servers,
    recursive resolvers and stub clients.

    No changes are needed to advance RFC 3597 to draft standard.

Normative References

    [1]  Gustafsson, A., "Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record (RR)
         Types", RFC 3597, September 2003.

Author's Address

    Jakob Schlyter

    EMail: [email-masked]

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft      RFC 3267 Interoperability Report         August 2004

Appendix A. Test zone data

    ; A-record encoded as TYPE1
    a  TYPE1  \# 4 7f000001
    a  TYPE1  192.0.2.1
    a  A      \# 4 7f000002

    ; draft-ietf-secsh-dns-05.txt
    sshfp  TYPE44  \# 22 01 01 c691e90714a1629d167de8e5ee0021f12a7eaa1e

    ; bogus test record (from RFC 3597)
    type731    TYPE731    \# 6 abcd (
                               ef 01 23 45 )

    ; zero length RDATA (from RFC 3597)
    type62347  TYPE62347  \# 0

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft      RFC 3267 Interoperability Report         August 2004

Intellectual Property Statement

    The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
    Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
    pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
    this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
    might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
    made any independent effort to identify any such rights. Information
    on the IETF's procedures with respect to rights in IETF Documents can
    be found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

    Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
    assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
    attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
    such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
    specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
    http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

    The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
    copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
    rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
    this standard. Please address the information to the IETF at
    [email-masked].

Disclaimer of Validity

    This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
    "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
    OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
    ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
    INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
    INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Copyright Statement

    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). This document is subject
    to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
    except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

Acknowledgment

    Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
    Internet Society.

Schlyter                Expires January 31, 2005                [Page 6]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>