Subject: LLMNR Issue 74 (AD Review): Partial Responses/TC Bit

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:54:44 -0700 (PDT)

The list of open and resolved LLMNR Issues is available here:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNSEXT/llmnrissues.html

The text of Issue 74 is enclosed below.  The proposed resolution is as
follows:

In Section 2.1.1, change:

"If the TC bit is set in an LLMNR response,
then the sender MAY use the response if it contains all necessary
information, or the sender MAY discard the response and resend the
LLMNR query over TCP using the unicast address of the responder as
the destination address. See [RFC2181] and Section 2.4 of this
specification for further discussion of the TC bit."

To:

"If the TC bit is set in an LLMNR response,
then the sender SHOULD discard the response and resend the
LLMNR query over TCP using the unicast address of the responder as
the destination address. See [RFC2181] and Section 2.4 of this
specification for further discussion of the TC bit."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 74: Partial Responses/TC Bit
Submitter: Thomas Narten
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: August 27, 2004
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-34
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section:  Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

> by an LLMNR responder. If the TC bit is set an LLMNR response,
> then the sender MAY use the response if it contains all necessary
> information, or the sender MAY discard the response and resend the
> LLMNR query over TCP using the unicast address of the responder as
> the destination address. See [RFC2181] and Section 2.4 of this
> specification for further discussion of the TC bit.

section 9 of 2181 does not allow use of a partial response. the issue
is that one can't know whether all the data that one needs is in the
response. Should this spec be deviating from DNS here? I suspect not,
especially since truncation should be much less of an issue given the
requirement that the link MTU be supported.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>