Subject: LLMNR Issue 68 (AD Review): Caching

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:39:10 -0700 (PDT)

The list of current LLMNR issues and resolutions is found here:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNSEXT/llmnrissues.html

The text of Issue 68 is found below.  The proposed resolution is as
follows:

In Section 2.3, Change:

"Responders MUST NOT respond using cached data."

To:

"Responders MUST NOT respond using data from the LLMNR or DNS resolver
cache."

In Section 4, delete:

"   Where a host is configured to issue LLMNR queries on more than one
   interface, each interface should have its own independent LLMNR
   cache. "

Add the following to Section 4.1:

"   Where a host is configured to issue LLMNR queries on more than one
   interface, each interface maintains its own independent LLMNR
   resolver cache, containing the responses to LLMNR queries."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 68: Caching
Submitter: Thomas Narten
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: August 27, 2004
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-34
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section:  Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

> [e] Responders MUST NOT respond using cached data.

add something like "learned from other LLMNR queries" (or DNS queries,
etc....)

> Where a host is configured to issue LLMNR queries on more than one
> interface, each interface should have its own independent LLMNR
> cache.

what exactly is in such a cache?

> [f] If a DNS server is running on a host that supports LLMNR, the DNS
> server MUST respond to LLMNR queries only for the RRSets relating
> to the host on which the server is running, but MUST NOT respond
> for other records for which the server is authoritative. DNS
> servers also MUST NOT send LLMNR queries in order to resolve DNS
> queries.

Might be better to say something like "if the same process/application
implements both LLMNR and DNS (e.g., for code sharing purposes),
.... the must keep things logically separate".

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>