Subject: Re: EDNS0 numbers

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:16:06 -0800

>	I would just write an ID and request a option code in
>	IANA Considerations.

The two EDNS0 extensions in question are:

"Dynamic DNS Update Leases" (Garbage collection for Dynamic Update:
Added records have a lifetime, and are automatically deleted if not
renewed before expiration.)

"Long-Lived Queries for DNS" (Server notifies client when answer
to a given question changes, as an alternative to polling.)

They are documented at:

<http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-update-leases.txt>
<http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-llq.txt>

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:03:01 -0800

>I can't find the registry either.  (IANA, where are you?)  But section
>7 of RFC2671 says:
>
>     IESG approval should be required to create new entries in the EDNS
>     Extended Label Type or EDNS Version Number registries, while any
>     published RFC (including Informational, Experimental, or BCP)
>     should be grounds for allocation of an EDNS Option Code.
>
>While very clear, this metric doesn't fall into any of the buckets in
>RFC2434.  It sounds closest to "IETF Consensus" (or "IETF Review", as
>used by draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-01.txt), but one
>could argue that it was intended to be "Specification Required".

Thanks.

I plan to send an email to IANA requesting:

EDNS0 option code 1 for "Long-Lived Queries for DNS"
<http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-llq.txt>, and

EDNS0 option code 2 for "Dynamic DNS Update Leases"
<http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-update-leases.txt>.