Subject: Re: Unexpected DNS responses

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:44:45 -0800

Thanks to everyone who responded. I got many replies along these lines:

>Is there some sort of caching going on at the host level? 
>There shouldn't be with dig, but who knows?  I would
>suggest performing the "dig -t aaaa login.oscar.aol.com"
>on a different host to see if you get the same response.
>
>It almost sounds like dig is doing a CNAME subsitution and
>there is some hidden cache at work.

Clearly doing queries from other machines produces different results. 
Clearly some cache at Apple is doing CNAME subsitution. The question was 
whether this is legal. We can fix our cache at Apple, but if this 
situation is common at lots of other sites, should we make our OS X 
resolver client handle it?

It sounds like the consensus is no, we should not. It sounds like this is 
a bug in BIND 8, and the consensus is that we should not work around it 
in our client, but simply tell any site having this problem that they 
need to upgrade their name servers.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>