Subject: wild card validation question

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:02:31 -0500

Regarding this from the minutes:

#     Example in presentation:
#     ************************************************
#     Zone has    *.example.   IN 3600 NS bogon.example.
#                 *.example.   IN 3600 NSEC twn.example. NS NSEC RRSIG
#
#                 twn.example. IN 3600 NSEC twp.example. ...
#                 twn.example. IN 3600 RRSIG NSEC ... signed by example. ...
#
#                 twp.example. IN 3600 NSEC example. ...
#
#      Query: two.example. IN NS
#
#      Answer has (?):
#      AA = 1, RCODE = 0 (not name error)
#      Answer:       two.example. IN 3600 NS bogon.example.
#      Authority:    twn.example. IN 3600 NSEC twp.example. ...
#                    twn.example. IN 3600 RRSIG NSEC ... signed by example. ...
#
#  Suggested fixes:
#       a. outlaw loading zones with *  NS
#       b. exempt certain types from wildcard processing
#       c. instruct DNSSEC validators to ignore "problem"
#       d. Specify * label can't have certain types and cannot be subdomained
#
#  Questions:
#
#  There where some statements that c. was the right way to go, but
#  need for a clear definition what that means. There was also
#  discussion that this is an answer not a referral but that needs to
#  be discussed on the mailing list.

I've been meaning to post this to the list, but my schedule has 
prevented me from doing so.

Note that the reply here is not a referral - the NS appears in the 
answer section, as it is the answer to the query.  (This is why an NS 
query is used as an example.)

Answer C does seem to be the smoothest way out - unless your metric 
is code smoothness.  The implication is that the validator has to 
understand the special case-ness of this situation.  (We may also see 
this is true for DS records too, I haven't gotten that far yet.)

Are we willing to accept that the validator is going to be "smart 
enough" to understand the odd ball case here?  (5 points extra credit 
for whoever can enumerate the conditions in which an NS RRSet is 
properly signed by the "parent.")

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>