Subject: Re: MagicType draft

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:18:29 -0500

At 15:41 -0500 11/17/04, Andras Salamon wrote:
>Why does the online signing of wildcard records remove the need to prove
>the original QNAME does not exist?

On-line signing of authenticated denials tailored to the query 
removes the need to worry about wildcards.  This is because the proof 
can be tied to the query.

E.g.,

If you want to prove that foo.example doesn't exist, you'd need:

                  bar.example. NSEC  example.
                               RRSIG NSEC
                  example.     NSEC  bar.example.
                               RRSIG NSEC
First shows that foo.example. isn't there, the latter that there's no 
wildcard.  The reason two are needed is that's how many it takes to 
show that all of the places to look as specified in RFC 
1034/4.3.2/step 3/part C.

If you tailor the answer, you'd only need:

                   fon.example. BERT   fop.example.
                                RRSIG  BERT .... by appropriate key ....

The difference is that that validator knows that the response was 
generated on the fly.  If there was a wildcard, that record would not 
have been generated, replaced by an answer (if appropriate).

For client-server protocols to work - you have to assume the other 
side is complying to the protocol.  DNSSEC doesn't protect against 
non-compliant implementations, it protects on modifications "in 
transit."  So, it's not important that the server 'prove' all its 
steps as it had to with NSEC - it's only important that the answer is 
signed by the holder of the secret needed.  Hopefully the secret is 
only available to the (authoritatively answering) server.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

I would have been at the meeting, but I was busy raking the leaves from
the (now) empty non-terminals in my yard.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>