Subject: DNS spec compliancy and how to get there

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:45:12 +0200 (EET)

DJB quoted Peter Koch and wrote:
=====
> excellent work done by Jakob Schlyter on interoperability of this spec

Are you talking about the report several months ago where Schlyter said
that DNSJava 1.6.4, BIND 8.4.5rc4, BIND 9.3.0rc2, NSD 2.1.1, NET::DNS
0.47 patchlevel1, and ANS 2.2.1.0.d could handle arbitrary types? That's
wonderful. Now how about the fifty bazillion ancient BIND installations
that _can't_ handle new types?
=====

This strikes to me that we need pretty urgently to have some kind of 
"[minimum] requirements for DNS implementations [that wish to be 
compliant to DNS specs]" (like hosts requirements, router 
requirements, or IPv6 host requirements documents).

That seems to be the only way to write clearly which features are 
optional and which must be supported.

Would some folks be interested in working on this?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:56:39 +0000

> Would some folks be interested in working on this?

	there are at least three efforts underway...
	my own efforts have been bounced by the ID gatekeepers
	twice... so no ID yet.

--bill

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jan 2005 06:50:29 -0000

> requirements, or IPv6 host requirements documents).

RFC 1123, Requirements for Internet Hosts, already says ``A name server
may acquire [records] that the server doesn't know how to convert to
printable format ... this data must be preserved.''

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago