Subject: Document Advancement: TSIG/SHA1 for DS

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:49:38 -0400

The DNSEXT working group is requesting publications of
	draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-sha-05.txt
as a Draft Standard.

Review questions and answers:

1) Have the chairs personally reviewed this version of the ID and do
    they believe this ID is sufficiently baked to forward to the IESG
    for publication?

Yes and yes.

2) Has the document had adequate review from both key WG members and
    key non-WG members? Do you have any concerns about the depth or
    breadth of the reviews that have been performed?

Yes and no.

3) Do you have concerns that the document needs more review from a
    particular (broader) perspective (e.g., security, operational
    complexity, someone familiar with AAA, etc.)?

Not really, this document specifies a transaction signature, that uses
SHA-1 and SHA-2 as a digest.

4) Do you have any specific concerns/issues with this document that
    you believe the ADs and/or IESG should be aware of? For example,
    perhaps you are uncomfortable with certain parts of the document,
    or whether there really is a need for it, etc., but at the same
    time these issues have been discussed in the WG and the WG has
    indicated it wishes to advance the document anyway.

No.

5) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?  Does it
    represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with others
    being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and agree with
    it?

This document has been under development and review for about a year,
there is strong consensus that this is a good thing to do and the
specification has been implemented and tested.

6) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
    discontent?  If so, please summarize what are they upset about.

No.

7) Have the chairs verified that the document adheres to _all_ of the
    ID nits?  (see http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html).

Yes.

8) For Standards Track and BCP documents, the IESG approval
    announcement includes a writeup section with the following
    sections:

    - Technical Summary

    This document specifies an EXTENSION to the TSIG (Transaction SIGnature)
    mechanism in DNS. The extension adds more secure digest algorithm that
    are mandated.  TSIG is used by DNS for authentication as well as
    authorization of dynamic updates, thus it is important to start the
    process to phase out MD5 which is the current digest algorithm. This
    specification allows truncation of digests and sets some basic rules
    to prevent excessive truncation.

    - Working Group Summary

    The DNSEXT WG has come to strong consensus in support of acceptance of
    this specification as an Internet Standard.

    - Protocol Quality

    As this is a simple expansion of an existing mechanism the specification
    is straight forward. Implementation experience has validated that this
    is an implement able specification.

	Olafur & Olaf

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>