Subject: sha256 requirement consensus estimate

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:21:00 -0800

Based on the recent conversations, I think that:

1) rough consensus is that deployment requirements shouldn't be
   included at all.  Policy with respect to preference should also not
   be included (I liked my replacement text saying it had to be
   configurable and have a default to prefer 256, but no one responded
   to that so that certainly doesn't meet consensus).

2) We should specify that SHA-256 MUST be supported.

3) I actually think that there is more people leaning toward including
   a statement saying that SHA-1 be declared obsolete in the
   document.  This is the statement that is most on the line and I'm
   not sure whether or not there is enough support behind it to
   include it.  Opinions?

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:24:40 -0500

I have reviewed the document, and have some comments on the most
recent mail.

>    to that so that certainly doesn't meet consensus).

I agree with this in principle, but I like the proposal requiring at
least the ability to prefer 256.  It strikes me as a good balance
between including operational requirements (bad) and specifying
minimal functionality (good).

> 2) We should specify that SHA-256 MUST be supported.

Yes.

>    not sure whether or not there is enough support behind it to

I think that including the "configurable to prefer 256" fits with
this; I also think that obsoleting it is stepping over the
operational requirements line.  There may well be circumstances under
which SHA-1 is preferable when 256 isn't feasible or something, and I
don't think we have enough operations experience yet to know whether
that's the case.

Other than that, and the (more perceptive) comments others have already
made, I think this document should be ready pretty soon.

A

-- 
----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110