Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-shockey-enum-cnam-00.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:18:24 -0500

Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Jason,
> 
> My point about using data is that, if you do so, you do not need to 
> extend tel with the cnam parameter. I prefer not to extend tel 
> unnecessarily, since each added parameter then must be considered by all 
> that use the tel uri.

Well then I'm assuming you dont really support

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-tel-reg-00.txt

Why have a registry if you want to severely restrict parameters 
associated with a tel URI?

  I don't think this particular parameter would have
> applicability except when tel is used as the output of enum for this 
> particular use of enum.

Point taken but .. it is pretty obvious that CNAM is directly related to 
a PSTN phone number and as such could/should part of the tel URI which 
is our argument

Another argument is that I'm not sure many proxy SS vendors know how to 
deal with data: but the can parse tel: uri's and associated parameters 
which is the flip side of your concern.

Either option clearly gets the job done, I'm just not fully convinced a 
cnam parameter extension harms the usefulness of the tel: URI and when 
its clear that we need a registry of tel: parameters because it is 
anticipated there may be N of them.

> 
>     Paul
> 
> Livingood, Jason wrote:
>>  
>>
>>> The advantage to using Data over Tel is that Data exists and requires 
>>> no extensions to handle this case. To use Tel for this, it must be 
>>> extended with a new cnam parameter that is not useful in any other 
>>> context and in fact will probably add confusion around the use of Tel 
>>> in other contexts.
>>>
>>> Note that I am not attached to Data, but it just seemed to be an 
>>> existing URI that was sufficient for the purpose.
>>
>>
>> Since the URI is the sub-type of an Enumservice, perhaps we can progress
>> with two subtypes, one as data: and one as tel:.  We may also discover
>> some others of interest based on discussion in Dallas as folks consider
>> how (and if) they may use it in practice some day.
>>
>> Jason
>>
> 

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum