Subject: draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2536bis-dsa-06.txt review

From: Mike StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:02:07 -0500

During the DNSEXT meeting today I volunteered to review the above 
document with the goal of getting it off the DNSEXT rolls one way or the other.

My findings:

1) It's currently expired.

2) It appears to be pretty much the same thing as RFC2535 minus the 
glue to actually describe the containing RR.  2535  described DSA in 
a SIG record or a KEY record and described algorithm identifiers etc. 
This document describes DSA info as part of a containing RDATA for 
SIG and KEY.   The actual technical crypto grit hasn't changed.

3) There's no section describing these changes or the reasoning for them.

4) The tools page reports several nits as well as one warning.

I can't support the advancement of this document at this time.  In 
the attempt to make it RR agnostic the revisions took away too much 
connective tissue.  I don't believe it to be prudent to describe the 
RDATA content without describing the specific applicable record (RR) type(s).

If this update expanded the application of these into both the RRSIG 
and DNSKEY records (and left them available for SIG and KEY) I'd be 
much happier.  If this document obsoleted the use in SIG and KEY and 
defined them for RRSIG and DNSKEY I'd be very happy.  If the document 
also described the triggering event (e.g. typecode rollover of 
DNSSEC) I'd be ecstatic.

Mike

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>