Subject: PowerDNS recursor algorithm review

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:56:01 +0200

Dear namedroppers,

The open source PowerDNS recursor is currently being deployed by some very
large access providers, and now has millions of users. This has me worrying
a bit if I'm doing everything correctly (enough).

To test this, I've documented the inner workings of the PowerDNS recursor,
including its algorithm here:

        http://doc.powerdns.com/recursor-design-and-engineering.html

and more specifically here:

    http://doc.powerdns.com/recursor-design-and-engineering.html#AEN2878

If things progess as they appear to be progressing, the recursor might soon
leave the single digit market share it currently boasts, so I very much hope
I/we can prevent foisting broken code or algorithms on so many people. If
you could spare the time, could you browse through the documentation and
tell me what is broken?

And yes, I'll address the lack of local zones for RFC 1918 / AS112 serving
shortly.

Thanks.

-- 
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software 
http://netherlabs.nl              Open and Closed source services

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>