Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations
	Author(s)	: D. Eastlake 3rd
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2006-6-29
	
Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) parameter assignment
considerations are specified for the allocation of Domain Name System
(DNS) Classes, RR Types, operation codes, error codes, RR header
bits, and AFSDB subtypes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:35:37 -0400

Hi,

The last feedback I got from the working group on this draft was that it
was in good shape except for the need for some specific guidelines for
the designated RR type allocation expert. So this updated version has
such guidelines in section 3.1.3. Hopefully this version, or perhaps -04
is some minor changes are needed, will be ready for WG last call.

Thanks,
Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF.

Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) parameter assignment
considerations are specified for the allocation of Domain Name System
(DNS) Classes, RR Types, operation codes, error codes, RR header bits,
and AFSDB subtypes.

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Scott Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:40:02 -0400

I have one comment on the new text (or maybe this was old, but I the first
time I saw it).  Unfortunately, it is a high level politics thing.

The first paragraph in Section 3.1.3 has the sentence "The Expert should
reject any RRTYPE allocation request...".  That makes it sound like a much
more formal process than the rest of the document lays out.  From what I
gathered, it is more of a "recommend/not recommend" thing.  The Expert's job
should be more of an endorsement, or failing the criteria, helping the
proponents meet whatever goal they have for the draft.

Yes, this is a process issue and not a technical one, but something that may
catch some poor WG member acting as a expert in the future.

Scott
****************************************
Scott Rose
Adv. Network Tech. Div., NIST
+1 301-975-8439

https://www-x.antd.nist.gov/dnssec/
http://www.dnssec-deployment.org/
****************************************

> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Eastlake III
> Donald-LDE008
> Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 10:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-03.txt
>
>
> Hi,
>