Subject: [dnsext] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-huang-dnsext-reputation-00.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:57:35 +0200

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:30:01AM -0700,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 57 lines which said:

> 	Title		: DNS Encoding of Domain Reputation and IP# Classification
> 	Author(s)	: Y. Huang
> 	Filename	: draft-huang-dnsext-reputation-00.txt

> Therefore, a Resource Record (RR), Domain Reputation and IP#
> Classification (DRIC), are recommended as an extension to the
> existing DNS protocol.

So, copy to the DNS extensions WG, because it is one of its roles.

General review: you really need to add a high-level summary of your
idea because it is quite difficult to understand. The way you describe
it (your zone file example), it seems a domain chooses its own
reputation, which is convenient but not very good for figthing abuses
:-)

> Reputation is a byte integer which encodes a reputation measure for
> a string (domain name, host name, or URL) sent by a DNS client to a
> DNS server to resolve.

A DNS client never sends an URL, it only sends domain names (QNAME
field).

> A generic form of URL is	protocol://userid:password@hostname(ip#):port/path?parameter#anchor

No, the first field is not a protocol (RFC 3986, section 1.2.2).

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>