Subject: [dnsext] draft-crocker-dnssec-algo-signal-03 -- more time please!

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:54:07 +0200

A status report...

People are still reaching out to me, and it is pretty clear to me that  
many people have problems answering yes or no to the question, and  
that seems to be similar reasons as both yes and no people want to  
talk so much about the issue.

I will next week summarize in a bit more detail, but it seems people  
have the feeling that as the overall goal for standards in the IETF is  
interoperability, and the question is really what impact multiple  
algorithms have on real life interoperability. How are the algorithms  
selected? What if everyone "just pick" a favorite? If we are going to  
have preferred algorithms, how do we shift in and shift out algorithms  
in that pool (that might have only one entry)? How do we roll over  
algorithms? Etc...

Everyone (almost) I have talked with think that if we only talked  
about the real problem, then most certainly one of the things that  
will be needed is some kind of signalling, for example in the  
transition from one algorithm to another, but at this point in time --  
that is impossible to say.

So at the moment, I see the consensus in the wg is "not yet, we need  
to work on other documents first, or at least in parallell".

But, I at the same time think I have been contacted by "no" sayers  
more than "yes" sayers, so I ask the wg chairs for another week of  
work on what my findings on what the consensus of the wg is.

     Patrik