Subject: [dnsext] draft-li-dnsext-ipv4-ipv6 and compatibility with the installed base

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 12:03:58 +0100

I'm troubled by Section 3 of this I-D. Suppose a resolving server  
sends a BOTH QTYPE to an authoritative server which doesn't speak  
BOTH, say when resolving the name in the RDATA some NS record. The  
authoritative server *should* return NOERROR. At which point the  
resolver presumably would make explicit A or AAAA queries. But what if  
the (legacy) authoritative server barfs on what it considers to be an  
unknown RRtype and returns SERVFAIL or FORMERR or behaves in some  
other unexpected way?

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:51:51 +0200

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 12:03:58PM +0100,
 Jim Reid <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 14 lines which said:

> But what if the (legacy) authoritative server barfs on what it
> considers to be an unknown RRtype 

Despite RFC 3597? Shame on them.

> and returns SERVFAIL or FORMERR or behaves in some other unexpected
> way?

In this case, the broken name server will have problem with other
clients as well (see RFC 4074).