Subject: [dnsext] New Version Notification for draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-00 (fwd)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:32:33 +0100 (MEZ)

Folks,
as a result of the discussions at IETF 76 in Hiroshima, we have
submitted the successor of draft-gudmundsson-dns-srv-iana-registry.
This draft aligns with draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports, the revised
version of which is expected to be submitted soon, as well.

Basically, draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify now aims at
performing the normative updates and clarifications to RFC 2782
needed to get rid of the ambiguous/missing IANA considerations
therein.  It uses the revised and unified IANA registry for
"Service Names and Port Numbers" (as defined in the upcoming
version of draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports): the IETF Transport
Protocol names supported by that registry and the Service Names
registered in it are the base elements to build the Service
Prefix ("_Service._Proto" in RFC 2782) for the owner names of
DNS SRV resource records.

Further, this draft gives guidelines for service/protocol
specification designers on how to make efficient, uniform use
of DNS SRV based service discovery and spells out the related
documentation requirements.

For exceptional cases that cannot contend with the standard
naming scheme for Service Labels due to specific requirements and
the restrictions imposed on Service Names, an upwards-compatible
extended naming scheme for Service Labels is proposed, as an aid
for service/protocol designers that would want to adopt this scheme
and will then have to precisely document its specific instantiation
on a per-service base.  The IANA-registered Service Name can still
be identified unambiguously on the left-hand side of such Extended
Service Labels.

This draft targets PS because of the normative updates to RFC 2782.

It will be accompanied by another draft (coming out soon)
aiming at BCP that will "get rid of the cruft" of the sometimes
confusing legacy of various 'service'-related IANA registries.
In particular, that draft will freeze and deprecate the WKS IANA
registry originally supplied for RFC 952 and give advice to the
owners of legacy specifications (inside and outside the IETF)
that have made use of SRV records in a "creative" manner that will
no more be conformant under draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify
and draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports, on how to best migrate to
conformant SRV record owner naming and use.

Kind regards
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

----- Forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----

> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 06:53:48 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: New Version Notification for 
>          draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-00

>
> A new version of I-D, draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-00.txt
> has been successfuly submitted by Olafur Gudmundsson and posted
> to the IETF repository.
>
> Filename:	   draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify
> Revision:	   00
> Title:	   Clarification of DNS SRV Owner Names
> Creation_date:   2009-12-28
> WG ID:	   Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 17
>
> Abstract:
> The DNS SRV record has been specified in RFC 2052 and RFC 2782 for
> use in dynamic service discovery for a domain.  These two RFCs did
> not clearly specify an IANA registry for the names of the services
> and their underlying protocols.  This document clarifies RFC 2782
> regarding the formation and use of the Service Prefix in the owner
> name of SRV records, based on the unified IANA registry for "Service
> Names and Port Numbers".
>
> Status of this Memo
>
> ...
>
> The IETF Secretariat.

----- End of forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----