Subject: Re: [dnsext] Draft of an RRTYPE extension language

From: Alan Barrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:11:19 +0200

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Tony Finch wrote:
>> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-levine-dnsextlang-00.txt
>
>For auto-provisioning user interfaces I think you need a description for
>each field, e.g. [...]

I'd suggest both a field name (compulsory) and a description (optional).
For example:

   SOA:6         Start of a zone of authority
     MNAME:N[C]    Name of the original or primary name server
     RNAME:N[M,C]  Email address of person responsible for this zone
     SERIAL:I4     Version number of the original copy of the zone
     REFRESH:I4    Number of seconds before the zone should be refreshed
     RETRY:I4      Number of seconds before a failed refresh should be retried
     EXPIRE:I4     Number of seconds before the zone is no longer authoritative
     MINIMUM:I4    Minimum TTL (in seconds) for any RR from this zone

--apb (Alan Barrett)

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Sep 2011 16:44:21 -0000

>I'd suggest both a field name (compulsory) and a description (optional).

Not a bad thought, although the current master file definitions
often don't give specific names to fields.

>     MINIMUM:I4    Minimum TTL (in seconds) for any RR from this zone

This also offers a variety of new ways that might screw up, like what
happens if two fields have the same name, or what if I'm from China
and want to use UTF-8 field names.

R's,
John