Subject: Re: [dnsext] The state of DNS support, was Deprecating SPF

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:59:29 -0400

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Dickson, Brian <[email-masked]>wrote:

> At the risk of ridicule, and in the interest of potentially useful results:
>
> Why not deprecate TXT, or at least abandon the current TXT and introduce
> a new TXT code point? And, as each iteration gets trashed, move on to the
> next one?
>

I suggested allocating a dozen new TXT records for people to play with.
Crickets...

The DNS infrastructure world is far removed from the business world these
days.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Oct 2013 02:56:14 -0000

>I suggested allocating a dozen new TXT records for people to play with.

I believe that solves a problem that doesn't actually exist.

The real problem is that most provisioning software makes it too
painful to support new RR types.  A handful of TXT-like RRs that
people will use insonsistently seems unlikely to fix that.