Subject: [dnsext] CGA-TSIG research report

From: Marc Buijsman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:45:25 +0100

Dear working group members,

For my master's thesis I have performed an investigation at NLnet Labs 
on CGA-TSIG as a solution to the last mile problem of DNS. The version 
of the CGA-TSIG proposal that I reviewed is the current latest version 
at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-intarea-cga-tsig-06. During 
the course of my research I have already had some contact with Ms. Rafiee.

In order to do a verification of the CGA-TSIG proposal I have created a 
proof of concept implementation in NLnet Labs' "ldns" library. Since the 
scope of the project was limited to the last mile problem it only 
includes the code required for this purpose, but the implementation 
could easily be extended to support other applications (like zone 
transfers). I have found that CGA-TSIG has potential to be an adequate 
solution to the last mile problem on IPv6 networks, although some future 
research is needed with regard to bootstrapping the authentication.

As a result, I would hereby like to refer you to my report which can be 
found at 
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/downloads/publications/report-rp2-buijsman.pdf. 
I have outlined my results in section 4.2 which contains suggestions on 
how I believe the CGA-TSIG draft could be clarified and otherwise 
improved. I hope my suggestions will be adopted in the next version of 
the draft. The PoC code can be found in the online Git repository of 
NLnet Labs at http://git.nlnetlabs.nl/ldns/?h=cga-tsig.

I hope my work will be helpful in standardising CGA-TSIG.

Yours sincerely,

Marc Buijsman