Subject: [dnsext] Updating Security Considerations in RFC 6762

From: Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 05:25:15 +0000

Dear All,

Following the release of a security vulnerability by CERT:

https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/550620

It might be worth considering updating RFC 6762 to advise implementors
against amplification attacks by rate-limiting responses or refusing
to reply to queries from outside local link.

Quote:

"Impact

An mDNS response to a unicast query originating outside of the local
link network may result in information disclosure, such as disclosing
the device type/model that responds to the request or the operating
system running such software. The mDNS response may also be used to
amplify denial of service attacks against other networks."

Feedback welcomed.
//Logan
C-x-C-c

-- 
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.