Subject: .local TLD usage (draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-07.txt)

From: "MANE BSL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:04:39 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to define for my company an efficient internal DNS tree. I have
discovered last year a very interesting draft about the TLD ".local". This
document is "Local Domain Name System" and now the last version is
"draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-07.txt".

Though today this draft is a Best Current Practice (but not yet an RFC), I'm
obliged now to start to setup my DNS. I would like to know if someone is
experience in the deployment or the usage of a ".local" TLD in an
international WAN context.

I would be very pleased to get your opinion and advises about this subjet.

Thanks a lot

Best Regards

Eric SALGON
Network Engineer
MANE Company

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 100 11:43:56 -0800 (PST)

% Though today this draft is a Best Current Practice (but not yet an RFC), I'm
% obliged now to start to setup my DNS. I would like to know if someone is
% experience in the deployment or the usage of a ".local" TLD in an
% international WAN context.

A correction.  The draft is -NOT- a Best Current Practice. That designation
is reserved for a draft that reaches RFC status. Based on the version number
of the draft, this has not been a simple or easy task thus far and still has
a number of large hurdles to overcome.

That said, it is fairly simple to add domains that are locally scoped.

-- 
--bill