Subject: Protocol Action: Secret Key Transaction Authentication for DNS (TSIG) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:22:06 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Secret Key Transaction
Authentication for DNS' <draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-00.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS Extensions 
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document, orginally available as draft-ietf-dnsind-tsig-nn, specifies
an extension to DNS that allows for transaction level authentication 
using shared secrets and one way hashing.  It can be used to authenticate 
dynamic updates as coming from an approved client, or to authenticate 
responses as coming from an approved recursive name server.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus is the WG to advance the document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.