Subject: [dnssd] Fwd: [DNSOP] Request for Comments on I-D about IoT DNS Name Autoconf

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 03:00:31 +0900

All,

This request came into DNSOP for us to attend 6man.  In looking at their 
presentation, it appears to be more of a dns-sd type of solution looking 
for a problem.

I dug up the slides, because they show how this is different/better than 
mDNS.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jeong-6man-iot-dns-autoconf-00

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-6man-1.pdf

tim #2

Subject: [DNSOP] Request for Comments on I-D about IoT DNS Name Autoconf
From: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
To: IETF IPv6 Mailing List <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>, Hyunjong Jeon <[email-masked]>, Myung-Ki Shin <[email-masked]>, Chris Shen <[email-masked]>, Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>, Jung-Soo Park <[email-masked]>, joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>, Kyemyung Jung <[email-masked]>, Sejun Lee <[email-masked]>, "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 18:51:56 +0900
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>

Hi 6man, 6lo and dnsop folks,

There will be a talk about IoT DNS Name Autoconfiguration
in 6man WG's morning session tomorrow, 11/4/2015.

Title: DNS Name Autoconfiguration for Internet of Things Devices
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jeong-6man-iot-dns-autoconf-00

I hope we discuss how to configure the DNS names of IoT devices in
networks,
such as home network, enterprise network, road network, and factory network
with the minimum configuration effort.

Imagining that you have hundreds of IoT devices in your network,
will you configure their DNS names manually one by one?

To prepare for the new wave of IoT networks based on IPv6,
we need to think of the DNS naming and auto-registration into DNS for IoT
devices.

We (SKKU and Jubix) implemented a prototype for a smart grid with electric
meters
Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) that is the main power delivery
company in South Korea.
Our meters are running on IPv6/6lo/Wi-SUN (IEEE 802.15.4g).

Since I have 5 minutes for the presentation tomorrow, I will shortly
introduce the motivation,
the DNS name format based on the ITU-T/ISO object identifier, and our
protocol.

Please read my draft and slides in the 6man agenda link:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/94/agenda.html

The slides has the backup slides (as Appendix slides) that explain
the implementation and demonstration, and also the comparison with mDNS.

Thanks for reading this email.

Best Regards,
Paul
===========================
Mr. Jaehoon (Paul) Jeong, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Software
Sungkyunkwan University
Office: +82-31-299-4957
Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Personal Homepage: http://cpslab.skku.edu/people-jaehoon-jeong.php
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop