Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 16:39:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS-SD Privacy and Security Requirements
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Daniel Kaiser
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2020-03-12

Abstract:
   DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery) normally discloses information about
   devices offering and requesting services.  This information includes
   host names, network parameters, and possibly a further description of
   the corresponding service instance.  Especially when mobile devices
   engage in DNS Service Discovery at a public hotspot, serious privacy
   problems arise.  We analyze the requirements of a privacy-respecting
   discovery service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 09:30:12 +0100

i don't want to be nitpicky but what is going on with the versioning here?

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:48:55 +0000

Amelia and others,

There was a glitch in the IETF "data tracker" tool for a couple of hours recently (just when authors uploaded their new version) and the version number in metadata (the version your see in status web page for a document)  does not match the version number in the .TXT or .XML. You can see by yourself by going to https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-07 the text shows -05... (could be changed in the coming hours when it is fixed) and no -06.

The 'only' easy way to fix the I-D going through RFC Editor queue is for me, responsible AD, and for the IETF tools team (in cc), to ask authors to upload the very same I-D _BUT_ with a version -08 in the text and in the metadata.

Bottom line: trying to fix things, please bear with us for a while

Hope this clarifies the situation

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: dnssd <[email-masked]> on behalf of Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, 13 March 2020 at 09:31
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dnssd] version numbering? Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt

    > 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt
    
    _______________________________________________
    dnssd mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnssd

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 13:03:41 -0700

>> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt

Believe it or not, but I hit a bug in the datatracker when submitting
draft 05. The data tracker UI told me it was the wrong version number,
and that I should submit as version 04. I did that. Then Eric asked me
to submit version 05 to get the right version in the tracker. I did that
too, submitting version 06 as expected. The data tracker gave me an all
clear so I thought we were good, but Eric later found out that behind
the scene the tracker had created version 06 and version 07. Finally, I
resubmitted the draft as version 08, bring tracker and draft version
numbers in line.

-- Christian Huitema