Subject: [domainrep] Denial of Service

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Sep 2011 01:33:46 -0000

>You are free to have an overly optimistic belief the lack of replay 
>control permitted by ignoring sender and recipient won't be abused.  

Doug has been saying, over and over and over again for several years
that replay is a terrible problem that we have to solve right away.
Various other people say, no, it's not.  Wait a few days, and as
though this discussion never happened before, he brings it up again.
Repeat ad infinitum.  As far as I can tell, despite the intense
lobbying, he has recruited exactly zero people to this point of view,
other than perhaps the occasional short-term visitor.

If this kind of repetitive unproductive traffic isn't a DoS, I don't
know what it is.  Doug is a nice enough guy in person and when not
arguing about mail security, but it's time for this to stop.

R's,
John

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:58:07 -0500

AD Interrupt on this:

As in every group, there are going to be issues that are raised for 
which someone is in the rough. The issue needs to be documented (I 
expect there will be an issue tracker of some sort used for this group), 
the rough consensus needs to be recorded, and that needs to be the end 
of the conversation. Repeats of a particular issue shall be answered by 
whoever turns out to be the chair with, "Issue number 529, understood by 
the group, consensus not to address further." If the same person 
continues in the face of that to bring it to the list, the chair will 
communicate with that person offlist, perhaps with the help of the AD, 
and the "right thing will happen". (Of course, new people wishing to 
re-visit the issue will be asked to review the writeup of the issue in 
the tracker and bring up only new arguments if they feel necessary.)

In no event do we need running commentary on the list about 
participants' perceived misbehaviors. If you have a problem with a 
participant's behavior, bring it to the chair or the AD, off list. For 
the time being, until we are chartered, you may bring it to the AD.

End of topic.

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102