Subject: [domainrep] Comments on -model-00

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:46:29 -0700

On the current -model-00 document:

By citing the related documents, you make the publication of this document be 
gated on their being published first.  That's the reason I'm not a fan of 
"forward" pointers like this. (It only gets worse as more documents list the 
component set.)

In contrast citing functional divisions, without citing specific documents, lays 
the groundwork with no gating.  The later documents, of course, can have a 
backward reference that declares which function(s) from the set they cover.

The current 'model' is for the localized mechanism, without reference to the 
larger, systemic framework for identification and assessment that this piece 
fits into.  Figure 1 (RFC 5863) and Figure 1 (RFC 5585) attempt the sort of 
full-system description.  I suggest that the model document, here, should deal 
with the full architecture, so that it's clear where the current work fits into 
a true, end-to-end email service.  If any of the existing diagrams and 
discussion are sufficient, just cite them.  If they need elaboration, perhaps 
build on them?

In any event, I do suggest a separate diagram for the pieces that the model 
covers, to show their relationships.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net