Subject: [domainrep] Terminology: "Application"

From: Chris Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:32:03 -0500

[Wearing Chair Hat]

At the the time of the WG meeting in Taipei, a question came up about
the use of the term "application" as we've proposed them in reputons.

> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-repute-email-identifiers-00.txt

refers to the creation of an "reputation application" called "email-id"
as being registered with IANA.

> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-repute-media-type-00.txt

Refers to it (example: "email-id") being used in the query to specify in
which area the reputation question is being asked.

The model document also makes reference to "application", but not in detail.

I'd guess the question came up in the sense that "application" is
normally used - like Email, IRC, WWW etc.  Whereas here we're
specifically referring to identifiers used in an applications.

Is this the correct terminology to use here?  Anybody have any
druthers/alternate terminology?

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:56:55 -0800

The way I've been using it is to reference a specific reputation context.  For example, "email-id" is the application of reputation to identifiers found in email messages.  That it happens to match often to things we think of as applications in the internet space is something of a coincidence; "restaurants" would also be an application, as would "cars", "baseball players", or anything else one might rate.

I'd be fine with using a better word if there is one.

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:52:32 -0800

> druthers/alternate terminology?
Terminology that clarifies the actions and intent of referenced 
identities is desired in conjunction with reputation.

i.e. SPAM-A/S/T where 'A' indicates Authorization, 'S' indicates 
Signing, and 'T' indicates Transmission.

Some may wish to equate SPAM-'A' + 'S' as being the equivalent with 
SPAM-'T' where the transmitting domain has been confirmed by the EHLO.

Applications like email were formulated in an era that assumed various 
fields could be trusted.  Unfortunately, these assumptions provide a 
perilous basis in which to establish reputation when using fields 
assumed valid or assumed related with transmitting entity.

-Doug